Re: 318 Poly-8 bolt steel crank?

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc@aol.com
Remote Name: 192.75.238.204
Date: January 31, 2003
Time: 13:40:03

Comments

The early poly "A" cranks were all steel. Some a little better than others (rolled-fillet journals and/or heat-tretment). The "LA" engines came both ways. Early LA's were steel, and then around 1970 Chrysler switched to cast cranks for cost reductions. I also believe that the cast units may be externally balanced, so that would require a different harmonic balancer and flywheel/converter flex plate than steel cranks, which were all internally balanced. I would query your shop man again about which years of cranks he is speaking of, to clarify things.

Last changed: March 03, 2024