Detergent oil or non-detergent

From: Boondox
Email: Doc_Burke@military.com
Remote Name: 12.34.108.130
Date: April 21, 2003

Comments

I'm putting my 315 poly back together and should be ready to see if the darned thing actually starts in a couple of weeks! Here's my dilemma. A friend who likes working on those old engines tells me to use non-detergent motor oil exclusively. But there was a bit of crud in the drain pan and also under the valve covers. I wiped away what I could reach, but was thinking a few oil changes at 200 mile intervals would help get the rest I couldn't reach. I was planning on using 30W detergent oil. What's the problem with that stuff? Pete

Last changed: March 03, 2024