Re: adjustable shocks for '56 Dodge stationwagon

From: Herman Parker
Email: hplpp@airmail.net
Remote Name: 66.94.132.227
Date: July 18, 2003

Comments

In the early '70s, I worked at an auto parts part time while working full time as a mechanic. Shock absorbers application are determined by just a few factors - attachment point types (eye, stud, tab, etc), total extended length, total compressed length, piston diameter, compression rate and rebound rate. In the back of the Monroe book there was a guide to show the different types and it should only be a matter of finding a competent counterman to open the book and match your existing shock. Total length (compressed and extended) and mounting type should be easy to determine. Since you have a station wagon, I'd then be most interested in piston dia., compression rate and rebound rate. Since you don't know what that is on your old shock, a similarly heavy later model (weight wise) station wagon would be the one to look at. Suspension science way back when, had soft springs (and torsion bars) and weak shocks on the compression side to give a softer ride. Today's shocks, properly selected, will give a decent ride and superior handling over the shocks that came on the car when it was new. Gabriel used to make an adjustable shock (you simply rotated the body to one of 3 settings). If you can find one to fit, I'd seriously consider a gas shock like the Monro-matic. The hardest part of all this will be finding a counterman who even realizes Monoe has an extensive data section in the back of the book. Hope this helps. Herman

Last changed: March 03, 2024