Sometimes the U-joint won't feel sloppy but is still BAD

From: Lou
Email: lou@cyberia.com
Remote Name: 4.33.220.162
Date: August 10, 2003

Comments

I have a similar vibration in my '59 Dodge but have not yet started to diagnose it. But, keep this in mind: My '96 Suburban had a vibration and no mechanic could figure it out. Everyone swore the U joints were FINE. They did not feel loose or sloppy. I decided to drop the drive shaft and take it to a shop to have it balanced. What I discovered was that the U joints were not LOOSE, but they were TIGHT. BINDING was causing the vibration. I had the shaft balanced anyway and both U joints replaced by a truck shop. I think it was under $100 total. Problem solved. On our cars, I don't know how troublesome it is to replace the trunion, but I hope to replace front and rear U joints just as a matter of precaution. Regards, Lou

Last changed: March 03, 2024