Your '58 Savoy can be upgraded

From: Daven Anderson
Email: 1961fury<at>Leapmail.net
Remote Name: 199.182.49.250
Date: September 15, 2003

Comments

Yes the '58 Fury had heavier duty suspension parts than the Savoy, but you have to remember that very few '58 Plymouths at all had front anti-roll bars, even Furys! (the few that did were police cars and special orders). An otherwise stock '58 Savoy with a front anti-roll bar installed could outcorner a '58 Fury without one, especially if the Savoy had modern low-profile tires and the Fury had stock sized tires! A good basic game plan here for handling would be rebuild the suspension to stock, fit a front anti-roll bar (adding a rear anti-roll bar as well would be even better!), and plus-sizing the tires/wheels from the original 205-80 B14 (that's 80 series bias-ply tire on a 14" wheel) to 215-70 R15 (radials, 15" wheels) or 225-60 R16 (16" wheels). A good spring company can supply upgraded rear springs that would be a lot better than 1958 Fury springs. It would be nice to have the Fury-size torsion bars as well, but those can be hard to find and really I think if you had anti-roll bars front and rear, and 225-60 R16's all around, you would have a car that would corner A LOT better than a stock '58 Fury! I have front/rear anti-roll bars in my '60 Plymouth wagon ('70 Chrysler in front, '73 Challenger in back) and 15" wheels and I have lots of fun outcornering fullsize SUV's like Ford Expeditions on the winding mountain roads near my home! I do have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks as well, for the rears they have a '57-61 part number but for the front you have to use the '65-68 Mopar C-body shock and trim down the top bushing (about 1/4 to 3/8" on each side) to get it to fit a '57-61 car, you can use the original shock to compare dimensions. The KYB's even improved my '61 Fury which does not have anti-roll bars at present!

Last changed: March 03, 2024