Re: wcfb bolt pappern

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc <at> aol.com
Remote Name: 152.163.252.200
Date: October 13, 2003

Comments

You must be referring to the small "square base" pattern, like I have on my 1956 DeSoto Adventurer. However, a lot of manifolds were cast in 1956 with the larger pad pattern, but not drilled for it. I have this on a Dodge D-500 engine I acquired. If this is the case, you can drill and tap for the larger (AFB-style) pattern and either use that type WCFB (no real advantage), or also bore the manifold inlet holes for clearance using the AFB or an Edelbrock clone. A trick I have used in the past is to find some inside allenhead set screws and put them into the old holes using Teflon paste. This seals up the old openings and makes sure there are no leaks no matter what base gasket is used. If your manifold does not have the large pad, you can always make on from 3/8" aluminum plate. This is sufficient thickness to support carb studs and also to flush countersink allenhead cap screws to hold it to the manifold. Also, the two gaskets make a fairly good heat isolator.

Last changed: March 03, 2024