1959 Coronet Brake Problems

From: Larry Coleman
Email: larcol607@sbcglobal.net
Remote Name: 68.91.211.209
Date: January 10, 2004

Comments

How do I improve brake pedal travel in my Coronet? I have completely rebuilt the brake system. New brake shoes, rebuilt all the wheel cylinders, had to replace one, replaced the master cylinder. I've pressure bled the entire system and I'm 99.9999% sure there is no air in the system. When I step on the brake pedal it goes down very low before I get any resistance, about 1 1/2" or 2" from the floor. I adjusted the brake shoes all the way out tight against the drums to eliminate any shoe movement at all but the pedal height did not improve. Is this the normal way brakes on this car act or is there something else I can do to get a good, high brake pedal. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Summer is on the way and I need to feel safe.

Last changed: March 03, 2024