Re: Thoughts about self rebuild of powerflite transmission!

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc <at> aol.com
Remote Name: 152.163.252.199
Date: January 10, 2004

Comments

Tim....The Powerflite is not really more difficult to rebuild than any other automatic. Worst thing is clamping the clutch packs into the drum and getting the snapring on. I would expect that when you pull it down you will evaluate the need to make a couple of clamping fixtures to assist in the rebuild (the original fixtures are WAY hard to find). Look at the special tools section at the end of the transmission section of your manual for what you might need to replicate. Other than that, I would think if you contacted Kanter (www.Kanter.com, phone 001-973-334-9575 for technical assistance, 1-800-526-1096 sales and 001-973-334-5423 for a fax number), they could most likely provide the shims or complete planetary set if necessary. Do call them BEFORE disassembly to find out exactly how much they can offer if you need a piece. A deluxe kit from them is $375.00 USD, plus band deposit of $50.00 per band. You do NOT need to send your old bands to them to be relined. They will take exchange after the fact. So, if you can get parts cheaper on eBay, go for it. I would think that you are up to the task, especially if you have done an engine.

Last changed: March 03, 2024