Positive to Negative ground conversion

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc <at> aol.com
Remote Name: 192.75.238.205
Date: January 13, 2004

Comments

A conversion to negative ground would consist typically of swapping the positive and negative battery cables, the switching of the wires to the terminals of the ammeter, the "polarization" of the voltage regulator for the generator to change polarity, and I think the switching of the terminal wires to the generator. Also, as you mention, due to the way the radio is built, I would believe this would have to remain positive ground and be isolated from the usual power and ground points (insulate the chassis and power supply, pick up power and ground direct from battery or on instrument cluster. Reason for conversion was most likely to be able to easily run some accessory that was not included with your vehicle when sold to you. Since the radio is damaged, you could have this converted at time of rebuild by reputable antique radio restorer.

Last changed: March 03, 2024