Re: Poly valve lifters

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc@aol.com
Date: March 26, 2002
Time: 14:38:12

Comments

The biggest mess comes from the oil running onto the exhaust manifolds as you have the valve covers off for the adjustments. You can get an extra valve cover and cut off all but the flange portion and about an extra inch, except for the area where the studs come through (you need this to hold it down and compress the gasket). I kind of think this is a waste of a good valve cover, though. Just put some good absorbant toweling around the bottom side of the head, and my suggestion is to run the engine until nice and hot, set the valves with the engine off (bump it over), run it again and then check. It should cool down that fast so that the clearances change radically. Doing it with the engine off is a lot less messy.

Last changed: March 03, 2024