Re: Question on the lower pulley for a 1958 flathead 6'

From: Hank Dozier
Email: dozierhc@aol.com
Remote Name: 192.75.238.205
Date: June 25, 2003
Time: 14:55:49

Comments

The pulley you want to replace is actually a harmonic balancer. That is why there is a rubber vibration dampener bonded between the crank hub part and thew outer pulley part. Although it might be acceptable to replace this item with a solid piece, I do not think you would appreciate the long term effects of losing the vibration suppression, both on the accesories as well as the poor crankshaft. My suggestion is that you get this pulley/dampener rebuilt as a spare to your new one. In which case the one on the engine should outlive you!

Last changed: March 03, 2024