60-61 metal turn signal cams routinely slip out of place, replacement will not really help

From: Daven Anderson
Email: emailat:1961fury@leapmail.net
Remote Name: 199.182.49.2
Date: July 03, 2003
Time: 01:16:15

Comments

I've owned four of these (60-61 Plymouth) cars and the turn signal cam has slipped out of place at least twice in each car. And when it does you KNOW it because the horn will honk on and off constantly! The metal cam piece contacts metal when out of place and this degrounds it, thus the horn honking and lack of signalling. You could put a NOS turn signal cam in and this really won't change the eventuality that this will happen. You just have to take the wheel off and carefully relocate the turn signal cam. The pre-62 turn signal cams are metal and don't break, unlike the plastic ones starting in '62 B-bodies (I've never seen one of those slip out of place, irony of ironies!) Really, in 20+ years of owning 60-61 Plymouths, I would say with 99% certainty that you DON'T need a new turn signal cam, you just need to take the steering wheel off and get the old one back into the proper position. By now I routinely pull the horn leads out when this happens, so I don't have to hear the car honk all the way home because fixing it in the parking lot would be just too annoying!

Last changed: March 03, 2024