The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Miss Belevedere to be restored !
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Miss Belvedere - The Unearthed Tulsarama Plymouth!Message format

58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2008-02-02 7:54 AM (#113193 - in reply to #113042)
Subject: RE: Miss Belevedere to be restored !

Expert

MOPAR-TO-YA - 2008-01-31 10:31 PM Stephen, were you at Tulsa at the car show -outside?......................MO

Yes, I was there for the Saturday car show. I didn't have a car entered but I admired all of the other great cars. I saw for example the 1957 Dodge that belonged to the same Canadian family since new. I don't remember their name but the current owner/driver posts here on the board often. Another interesting car I remember seeing was the 1957 Plymouth upgraded with a Ch3vy engine. The owner of this car posts here often too. Not to my taste frankly, but I give him his props as the job was well done. There were so many great FL cars that I ran out of film before I ran out of cars to see. I stopped counting after I had reached 30 pictures.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-02-02 8:10 AM (#113196 - in reply to #113192)
Subject: Re: Miss Belevedere to be restored !

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Mike P - 2008-02-02 12:51 PM

Once the car is “done” it will be interesting to see how forthcoming Ultra One is on the amount of parts that have been replaced (or “reinforced”).

Well after reading the Link, It seems they are considering CHANGING...

The Frame,
The Interior,
They want it to Run and Move, So possibly Engine / Box ???? ( if Original will NOT Rebuild )
They want it to Roll, So posibly have to change all Hubs Etc ( Again if original will NOT Rebuild )

So When they Go on TOUR with her, It may be the Outer Body SHELL Only Held together with Fiberglass ( in the rear Quarters ) that is Left ORIGINAL...

SAD ... Very SAD...
Mike P
Posted 2008-02-02 9:40 AM (#113203 - in reply to #100940)

Extreme Veteran

I've been building engines for 40 years now and saved some pretty rough blocks.....but also ran into some that were just beyond saving I would be surprised to see this one rebuilt. I also doubt they will use the valve covers that are rusted thru LOL..

I think the BIG concern should be if they do try to remove the body from the old frame and set it on the new one. I suspect there is a real possibility it could just fold up if it is not done very carefully.

"....It may be the Outer Body SHELL Only Held together with Fiberglass ( in the rear Quarters ) that is Left ORIGINAL... "

As far as the fiberglassing I hope they do some experimenting prior to jumping into that with both feet. The impression I get from the link (and one I had at Tulsa) is that the sheetmetal is pretty thin and swiss cheesed. I’ve done just a bit of fiberglassing and the process generates a fair amount of heat, on very thin metal I would wonder about warpage and what it would do to the paint on the other side of any metal.

As far as him blaming Coddington for not washing the car immediately I’m not sure I buy into that one (don’t get me wrong I’m no fan of Boyd). The car was submerged and partially over and over again in the past 50 years. The “concrete” substance had likely set years before the vault was ever open.

BHWINC
Posted 2008-02-02 11:07 AM (#113218 - in reply to #113203)

Elite Veteran

Looks as if they are hunting parts,

http://www.cbodydrydock.com/forum_viewtopic.php?7.52295.0

http://moparfins/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=609&PN=1
big m
Posted 2008-02-02 1:53 PM (#113231 - in reply to #100940)

Expert 5K+

Like many have said on this board, what they are doing is a complete waste of time, and if parts are being replaced, their sole purpose of gaining fame from the derusting is moot, and, therefore, a waste of Ultra dud's money [good]. ---John
d500neil
Posted 2008-02-04 7:11 PM (#113462 - in reply to #113231)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Actually, the car WAS washed-down, by Tulsarama-folks, right before it was transported into the Connie Center.

Brian Cooper has a lot of pics of that wash-down, which occurred with the remains of the car cover still still draped over the car.

There was a lot of nastiness lying on top of the cover.

As far as a wash-down of the car, sans-cover, is concerned, the car WAS in a stable condition, as soon as it got dried off.

Rust/corrosion is NOT a living organism, which needs to be 'killed'.

As long as the car was kept in a dry environment, any further degradation of the sheetmetal was NIL.

If anyone needs further proof; check out the condition of the stainless steel/door handles, etcetcetc....

A further washing of the car would have served no preservation-purposes.

I wonder if the owner of Ultra-F-Up ever served in 'Nam : "We had to DESTROY the village (car) in order to 'save' it " !!!!

Edited by d500neil 2008-02-04 7:11 PM
moparjimmy
Posted 2008-02-06 2:26 AM (#113691 - in reply to #100940)

Extreme Veteran

It just goes to show the world is in the hands of idiots. And a saying I have grown to love, is those that can, do and and those that can't, manage. LOL

Jimmy
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-02-06 7:01 PM (#113795 - in reply to #113231)

big m - 2008-02-02 6:53 PM

Like many have said on this board, what they are doing is a complete waste of time, and if parts are being replaced, their sole purpose of gaining fame from the derusting is moot, and, therefore, a waste of Ultra dud's money [good]. ---John

John,, After see,ing your Thread with the PIC,s of your Yard,, You should Offer to sell them ALL the Parts needed,,, Now i Don,t want them to Do It, But IF they are Gonna Destroy the Originality on Miss Belvedere, You might as well earn some $$$$$ out of it, As if Not Somebody else will....
d500neil
Posted 2008-02-06 7:11 PM (#113797 - in reply to #113795)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Ehhh, hehehehheheheheh: the 'larger' question would appear to be : WHICH OEM-Ms. Belvie parts could be able to be put ONTO
JOHN'S car-parts?????

Rebels-59
Posted 2008-02-06 7:12 PM (#113799 - in reply to #113797)

d500neil - 2008-02-07 12:11 AM

Ehhh, hehehehheheheheh: the 'larger' question would appear to be : WHICH OEM-Ms. Belvie parts could be able to be put ONTO
JOHN'S car-parts?????

Maybe JUST the TRIM... LOL
d500neil
Posted 2008-02-06 7:15 PM (#113802 - in reply to #100940)

Unfortunately, 'that's NO 'lol', Clive!!!
MoparsRule!
Posted 2008-02-07 5:49 PM (#113945 - in reply to #100940)

Could the derusting process cause a greater chance the remaining metal to corrode further because they would be exposed? I understand they would use a clearcoat but still. I agree with many of the details they claimed about the car, like the remaining sheet metal being pretty thin (I have handled rusty metal which have thinned quite a bit), that the frame is pretty bad (it looked very rusty in the pics), and I knew the windshield was somewhat etched from the dirt and water during its 50 year life in the tomb.

Also I wonder if Ultra One's products are really that good?

Edited by MoparsRule! 2008-02-07 5:51 PM
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2008-02-07 10:35 PM (#113992 - in reply to #100940)

Expert 5K+

Maybe we could get a money pool going here--The Question will be: At what point will the nephew who has control over miss belvy say " I wish I would have sold it to 57 Heaven when I had the chance"
That vision of making big bucks by taking her on tour ,in my opinion is eroding away just like Miss Belvy. I wonder who is going to pay the bill for all that has been spent and all that will be spent--and what will there be to show for it?.................................MO
BHWINC
Posted 2008-02-07 11:16 PM (#114000 - in reply to #113992)

Elite Veteran

MoparsRule! Also I wonder if Ultra One's products are really that good?

Yes they are, the deruster and degreaser is in my experience the best on the market!
They are all I will use in my shop!

Edited by BHWINC 2008-02-07 11:17 PM
lawrence
Posted 2008-02-08 12:09 AM (#114004 - in reply to #113992)

Expert

MOPAR-TO-YA - 2008-02-07 10:35 PM Maybe we could get a money pool going here--The Question will be: At what point will the nephew who has control over miss belvy say " I wish I would have sold it to 57 Heaven when I had the chance" That vision of making big bucks by taking her on tour ,in my opinion is eroding away just like Miss Belvy. I wonder who is going to pay the bill for all that has been spent and all that will be spent--and what will there be to show for it?.................................MO

There won't be any vent windows!! If the car has those, we know it is a fake.
MoparsRule!
Posted 2008-02-08 1:45 AM (#114010 - in reply to #114004)

Cool, Ultra One's stuff would be great for some of the rust and corrosion on my antique light fixtures I plan to restore. I just hope the '57 Plymouth won't be screwed up real bad. I don't think it's practical to put this car on world tours in my opinion, she's just too fragile even if Ultra One succeeds in stabilizing it, the sheet metal is just too thin.
moparjimmy
Posted 2008-02-08 1:49 AM (#114011 - in reply to #100940)

Extreme Veteran

Aint it the truth, I was there and she is very thin in many spots ultra none is just wasting there time and money. But who are we to stop them from wasting that we are just a group that does get it. oh well on to bigger and better I guess. LOL

Jimmy
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-03-15 2:38 PM (#120259 - in reply to #100940)

Here is the Lastest Update..

HI Guys

If I may elaborate on a few things. I'm doing this for Dwight without, hopefully, ruffling any feathers

I have seen the car several times, as recently as last week. It is what you see. Some items are OK, some are extensively damaged, but with some bits and pieces, this car, very possibly, will run and roll under it's own power and the majority of it's original parts. The car is to go on world tour. It will definitely need rear springs. The frame may or may not be capable of handling the car moving under it's own steam. The transmission will have to have all it's guts replaced, we're pretty sure, but it's not that far yet. There is a plan to get a new front seat frame for moving purposes.

OK One at a time
Cement blocks. Better than having the frame on the floor. The rear springs are gone. A customized lift is being installed to lift the car more securely. It's there, but not installed yet.

Cement. . . I suspect that stuff is mixed with mortor and lime which erroaded from the vault. It feels like that. That stuff is HARD! Dwight has been working ona gentle formula to wash it away. I think he intends to use it like he plans with the Ultra one with a gentle shower. First order of business is to disolve that without damaging anything else, or the paint.

Allot of the "Chrome" is stainless steel. So there would be no damage. The clips which hold it on are probably gone. . . the chrome on the bumpers is still mostly there, but there are areas it is not.

Some of the items like the hood latch and trunk latch have been soaked in U1 already to see what is going to happen. They are now functioning. The door latches are a problem. . . I have come up with a solution when he is ready.

I know you are all excited and want more info. . . I'll ask Dwight if it's OK to say more. But at least you know there is something happening and nothing wrong. This is like pulling the Titantic from the bottom. A Titantic with Tires. Patience my rusty friends

StevePolaraco

d500neil
Posted 2008-03-15 3:22 PM (#120274 - in reply to #100940)

Uh, I'd like to know "WHO" the: "you are" who are "all excited" about what Ultra-F-up is doing to Ms. Belvie.

"World Tour" ; as WHAT???? some sort of info-mercial for Ultra-None?

Or, maybe, as a testiment of what NOT to do to an artifact.

It sure won't be to show the car, as an artifact of 50 years internment, at Tulsa!

I can't really blame Ultra-Dumb for trying to exploit the car, for promotional purposes.

I CAN blame Ultra-Dud, AND the family, for not realizing the actual, and the historical, value of the car.

Edited by d500neil 2008-03-15 3:23 PM
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2008-03-15 7:58 PM (#120317 - in reply to #120259)

Expert 5K+

Rebels-59 Coronet - 2008-03-15 1:38 PM

Here is the Lastest Update..

HI Guys

If I may elaborate on a few things. I'm doing this for Dwight without, hopefully, ruffling any feathers

I have seen the car several times, as recently as last week. It is what you see. Some items are OK, some are extensively damaged, but with some bits and pieces, this car, very possibly, will run and roll under it's own power and the majority of it's original parts. The car is to go on world tour. It will definitely need rear springs. The frame may or may not be capable of handling the car moving under it's own steam. The transmission will have to have all it's guts replaced, we're pretty sure, but it's not that far yet. There is a plan to get a new front seat frame for moving purposes.

OK One at a time
Cement blocks. Better than having the frame on the floor. The rear springs are gone. A customized lift is being installed to lift the car more securely. It's there, but not installed yet.

Cement. . . I suspect that stuff is mixed with mortor and lime which erroaded from the vault. It feels like that. That stuff is HARD! Dwight has been working ona gentle formula to wash it away. I think he intends to use it like he plans with the Ultra one with a gentle shower. First order of business is to disolve that without damaging anything else, or the paint.

Allot of the "Chrome" is stainless steel. So there would be no damage. The clips which hold it on are probably gone. . . the chrome on the bumpers is still mostly there, but there are areas it is not.

Some of the items like the hood latch and trunk latch have been soaked in U1 already to see what is going to happen. They are now functioning. The door latches are a problem. . . I have come up with a solution when he is ready.

I know you are all excited and want more info. . . I'll ask Dwight if it's OK to say more. But at least you know there is something happening and nothing wrong. This is like pulling the Titantic from the bottom. A Titantic with Tires. Patience my rusty friends

StevePolaraco

just a point of information for whatever it's worth..Polaraco used to be spelled H-O-B-B-Y................................MO
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2008-03-16 12:09 PM (#120434 - in reply to #120317)

Expert

MOPAR-TO-YA - 2008-03-15 6:58 PM
Rebels-59 Coronet - 2008-03-15 1:38 PM Here is the Lastest Update.. HI Guys If I may elaborate on a few things. I'm doing this for Dwight without, hopefully, ruffling any feathers I have seen the car several times, as recently as last week. It is what you see. Some items are OK, some are extensively damaged, but with some bits and pieces, this car, very possibly, will run and roll under it's own power and the majority of it's original parts. The car is to go on world tour. It will definitely need rear springs. The frame may or may not be capable of handling the car moving under it's own steam. The transmission will have to have all it's guts replaced, we're pretty sure, but it's not that far yet. There is a plan to get a new front seat frame for moving purposes. OK One at a time Cement blocks. Better than having the frame on the floor. The rear springs are gone. A customized lift is being installed to lift the car more securely. It's there, but not installed yet. Cement. . . I suspect that stuff is mixed with mortor and lime which erroaded from the vault. It feels like that. That stuff is HARD! Dwight has been working ona gentle formula to wash it away. I think he intends to use it like he plans with the Ultra one with a gentle shower. First order of business is to disolve that without damaging anything else, or the paint. Allot of the "Chrome" is stainless steel. So there would be no damage. The clips which hold it on are probably gone. . . the chrome on the bumpers is still mostly there, but there are areas it is not. Some of the items like the hood latch and trunk latch have been soaked in U1 already to see what is going to happen. They are now functioning. The door latches are a problem. . . I have come up with a solution when he is ready. I know you are all excited and want more info. . . I'll ask Dwight if it's OK to say more. But at least you know there is something happening and nothing wrong. This is like pulling the Titantic from the bottom. A Titantic with Tires. Patience my rusty friends StevePolaraco
just a point of information for whatever it's worth..Polaraco used to be spelled H-O-B-B-Y................................MO

Hmmmmm.. Now we know what he was looking at when he was at Ultra-One's shop.

d500neil
Posted 2008-03-17 2:57 AM (#120577 - in reply to #120434)

So, he's an advisory "consultant"?

MY advisory would have been to leave it ALONE.
Mike P
Posted 2008-03-17 7:49 AM (#120597 - in reply to #120577)

Extreme Veteran

The car was what it was when it came out of the ground.

What are they going to be doing about the truck lid (remember the inner supprt falling out when it was opened at Tulsa) ?

I don't know, but what I think I'm reading is that is they are going to be replacing parts in order to bring it up to the level of a rusty old junkyard car and I think there are enough of those around already.

To get it running and moving just to get it running and moving really proves nothing but will require a lot of changes from what it was.

You can "restore" anything, a good example is a relative who "restored" his dads truck.....sum total of original parts; frame, front bumper and VIN tag.

Guess it's just part of the sad journey this car has been on since it left the factory.

Edited by Mike P 2008-03-17 7:52 AM
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2008-03-18 12:51 AM (#120765 - in reply to #100940)

Expert 5K+

My opinion --they will do just enough to be able to move it around --maybe some cosmetics - leave the trunklid down- doubt if they will get it running--and then take it on a pay per view show circuit of some kind , trying for the big bucks --turning the virgin into just another old whore.............................MO
Posted 2008-03-20 4:14 AM (#121203 - in reply to #100940)

Expert

Looks like both Hobby and Ultra one have a tendency to try and conjure something out of thin air that wasn't there to begin with.
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2008-03-20 3:18 PM (#121295 - in reply to #121203)

5859 - 2008-03-20 4:14 AM

Looks like both Hobby and Ultra one have a tendency to try and conjure something out of thin air that wasn't there to begin with.

Bwah-Hahahahahahahahaha!

EXACTLY! Perhaps that what he's doing there.
They've hired him as a consultant!

-NM
57plymouth
Posted 2008-03-20 3:19 PM (#121296 - in reply to #100940)

Expert

Hobby's site says he is some sort of insider consultant. He also says that Ultra None is looking for parts...
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2008-03-20 4:43 PM (#121319 - in reply to #121296)

57plymouth - 2008-03-20 3:19 PM

Hobby's site says he is some sort of insider consultant. He also says that Ultra None is looking for parts...

Ah, Yes... he's an "insider consultant".
He's also a "Close Friend to Joe V." dontcha know?

I'm sure he's also a Doctor, An Astronaut, and A Fire Engine.

-NM

big m
Posted 2008-03-20 5:06 PM (#121328 - in reply to #100940)

Expert 5K+

LMAO!!!!
JimK
Posted 2008-03-20 6:56 PM (#121357 - in reply to #100940)

Veteran

Darn, I forget how multi-talented he is. He used to write that he was Roger's consultant at AAJ brakes. Roger will tell you how much help he was. A real renaissance guy.

Jim
moparjimmy
Posted 2008-03-21 1:12 AM (#121435 - in reply to #100940)

Extreme Veteran

Frankly I think he would do better at flippin burgers at a Mc Donalds, a consultant by definition these days is nothing short of a waste of money and time. I'm with you John LMAO !!!!!!!

Jimmy
lawrence
Posted 2008-03-21 9:33 PM (#121592 - in reply to #100940)

Expert

Where's the boobies? This site is boring.
h-bomb
Posted 2008-03-21 11:52 PM (#121604 - in reply to #100940)

Elite Veteran

Come to the CCC...we have boobies.
moparjimmy
Posted 2008-04-02 1:25 AM (#123322 - in reply to #100940)

Extreme Veteran

Hey H Bomb are you trying to start a mutiny for boobies LOL. I never meet a straight guy that wouldn't follow a pair of them. But I feel there are all kinds of big boobs at ultra none.

Jimmy
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)