The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heavy rain
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Desert Southwest RegionMessage format

luedi
Posted 2010-12-23 11:20 AM (#254283)
Subject: heavy rain

Extreme Veteran

I hear about heavy
rain in your area with destroyed houses.
i hope you´re all saved
Jan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kenny J.
Posted 2010-12-26 3:00 PM (#254627 - in reply to #254283)
Subject: RE: heavy rain

Inactive by user's request

Thanks for the concern, Jan. Down here in Las Vegas, we had some street flooding. But north of here, in Mesquite, Nevada and around St. George, Utah, some normally small and tranquil rivers such as the Virgin River and the Muddy River overflowed, and in some cases, formed new channels, devouring houses.

Desert rivers can clog their own channels with debris during times of unusually heavy flow and will cut new channels through the relatively soft terrain. Especially the shallow streams. This is why the Los Angeles River has been widened, deepened and lined with concrete.

We also have normally dry channels known as "washes." They can become clogged with vegetation as well as with junk and debris dumped in them by people. They, too can become clogged and flood surrounding areas during and after heavy rain, as they carry run-off.

Am hoping to hear from members in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, so we know they are okay.

K.

jsrail
Posted 2010-12-26 11:52 PM (#254679 - in reply to #254627)
Subject: RE: heavy rain

Expert

I haven't heard much about heavy rain down here in the Phoenix Valley.  We had a storm come through a few days ago, but just a couple days of medium rain and winds which were not too bad.  We get some streets overflowing drainage channels, but as soon as the rains stops, its all run off.  Sorry to hear about your area Kenny, I'm not much of a news watcher and didn't hear about your flooding.  I suppose we had a few small flash floods out in the desert areas, but nothing in the suburbs.  We also have a lot of "washes", like Kenny stated, they can get clogged with junk and plants, but the water just finds a way around them.

Guess I better watch the news tonight.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)