The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

.jpeg vs .jpg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Announcements -> Help With Using This BoardMessage format

Leadfoot1000
Posted 2018-01-26 11:51 PM (#556992)
Subject: .jpeg vs .jpg

Veteran

Why do photos with .jpeg not show up in a thread. My phone only saves photos as .png or .jpeg, not .jpg. I take a photo, email it to myself so I can reduce the size, open the email and it shows as .jpg, I save to my phone, then when I upload it to FL it shows up as a .jpeg. I’d like my photos to show in a thread but cannot find a method to do from an iPhone. What doesn’t this site allow .jpeg photos? Has anybody had success posting photos from an iPhone? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2018-01-27 2:04 AM (#557001 - in reply to #556992)
Subject: RE: .jpeg vs .jpg

Expert 5K+

Maybe a forum mod will reply but I can tell you that .jpegs do not show up. However, I think they upload and leave a list of uploads which you can click on (one by one) and open in the browser you are using (after being asked with what you want to open it with (pardon the grammar)). *Very* inconvenient.

Bottomline is under the current situation, the photos need to be < 250 kB and have a .jpg extension to be uploaded successfully and shown "automatically".

Personally, I use a real digital camera that saves the images as .jpgs and then I reduce and resize to < 250 kB using the Irfanview freeware program. When I upload the result, there are not issues. Everything shows up.

I will be interested in a moderators answer to your question. Good luck.

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-01-27 2:07 AM
christine-lover
Posted 2018-01-27 4:49 AM (#557002 - in reply to #556992)
Subject: RE: .jpeg vs .jpg

Expert

Leadfoot1000 - 2018-01-26 11:51 PM

Why do photos with .jpeg not show up in a thread. My phone only saves photos as .png or .jpeg, not .jpg. I take a photo, email it to myself so I can reduce the size, open the email and it shows as .jpg, I save to my phone, then when I upload it to FL it shows up as a .jpeg. I’d like my photos to show in a thread but cannot find a method to do from an iPhone. What doesn’t this site allow .jpeg photos? Has anybody had success posting photos from an iPhone? Thanks

A couple years ago a new software update automatically changed all photos stored in an iPhone and all new ones to jpeg. I use an iPhone 6 and had/have the same issue. Far as I know, there’s no way for photos to show up on here posted from an iPhone once they are stored as jpeg.
flaircraft
Posted 2021-10-02 4:55 AM (#615531 - in reply to #556992)
Subject: Re: .jpeg vs .jpg

New User

Old thread but I do have relevant information on this - I recently also had problems trying to use photos from an iPhone. The .jpeg images on the iPhone couldn't be opened by any imaging software on my parents' laptop (a late model IBM compatible computer, which has all the latest Windows standard software on it). After some research I discovered that Apple had pirated the .jpeg file extension for itself. Originally (back in the 90's), .jpeg and .jpg and .jpe were the same filetype. JPEG stands for Joint Picture Export Group. The abbreviated extensions .jpg and .jpe were used by IBM compatibles since back then, DOS and Windows could only handle 3-letter filename extensions. Unix and Apple didn't have the 3-letter handicap so they could handle all 3 filename extensions (jpeg, jpg, jpe). Since IBM became the dominant personal computer, JPEG format images soon all started using the .jpg extension since it was compatible with every operating system.

Now however, Apple has come up with its own proprietary image format which for some reason uses the .jpeg extension. It clearly is not the original multi-platform JPEG format, since it only works with Apple products.

My only suggestion for foks with iPhones/iPad etc. is to use an image converter program to turn the proprietary Apple ".jpeg" into an actual .jpg file. I tried everything with my mom's iPhone and after wasting over an hour, still could not get her phone to save the image files as a legitimate .jpg file type.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)