The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

An update
Moderators: Lancer Mike

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Rocky Mountain RegionMessage format

55BlueHeron
Posted 2018-06-24 12:29 PM (#565537)
Subject: An update

Extreme Veteran

For those who wondered, no, I hadn't fallen off the face of the earth. On 4/20 of this year this old Berkeley hippy retired, and I now have time to work on the Blue Heron, and the Mercedes.

On 9/3/2014 I posted about a complete brake failure. Within a few weeks of retirement I completed a front disk brake conversion, and am now able to drive the car.

I'm doing a repair on the Mercedes, and then I will be back getting the Blue Heron fixed up.
- There is a vibration at freeway speeds. It's not wheel bounce, so I'm suspecting the drive line.
- At all speeds I hear a whine from the rear end.
- I've been wrapping wires with insulating tape every time I find another bare wire. I need to rewire under the hood and possibly elsewhere.
- The driver's seat sags. When the previous owner reupholstered, he must not have had the springs worked over. I need someone to remove the upholstery, make repairs, and reinstall the upholstery.
- There are other interior items that need attention.
- The paint from previous substandard body work is flaking off.

I'm sure other items will be found.

Stanford
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sonoramic60
Posted 2018-06-24 1:36 PM (#565540 - in reply to #565537)
Subject: RE: An update

Expert

Stanford --
"Discovery" is one of the joys of old cars. You fix one thing and discover another. How's the part situation on you Blue Huron versus the Mercedes?
Joe
55BlueHeron
Posted 2018-06-24 6:38 PM (#565543 - in reply to #565537)
Subject: Re: An update

Extreme Veteran

Mercedes still makes most parts, but they are expensive. New window regulator $376. The window track (weather seal) $362. For the parts not still made I can find them used. The main window switches $285 used (I took two bad ones apart and made one good one). Pull your own places do get similar cars. I've seen them in Utah, Arizona, Texas, California, but not near me.

Everything for the Chrysler is reproduction or used, and the prices are much less. Big M has provided some parts. Andy Bernbaum has gotten my business, as have others.

Lancer Mike
Posted 2018-06-24 9:12 PM (#565548 - in reply to #565543)
Subject: Re: An update

Congratulations on retirement, Stanford!  Good to get an update on the Blue Heron and the 6.3 (600?).  We missed you at the tri-state breakfast this year.  Jeez, that Mercedes sounds like a real committment.  It seems true what they say about those big-time luxury cars - you have to be able to afford to own one!  The maintenance costs (let alone the repairs) are not for the faint of heart.  I often dreamed about owning a beat up old Rolls Royce from the late 1970s - something affordable - but I am sure that would end up being a lot more money than I bargained for.  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)