The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

58 torqueflite engages reverse in Neutral
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Saurer
Posted 2019-12-26 9:40 AM (#592025)
Subject: 58 torqueflite engages reverse in Neutral

Hello!

My 1958 Chrysler Windsor Torqueflite has a problem: when push Neutral button to start the car, half second after, engages Reverse with N button pressed (the vaccum switch in intake manifold is bad so i can't put it in neutral while engine running).

Despite this, the torquflite seems perfect. Shifts perfectly and smooth. Engages all R,D,2,1 correctly.

Should the cable be adjusted or maybe the problem is in the buttons control unit?

Thanks for the help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Ray
Posted 2019-12-26 4:19 PM (#592040 - in reply to #592025)
Subject: RE: 58 torqueflite engages reverse in Neutral

Extreme Veteran

Sorry can't help, but someone will. All I have is boring story about nothing. I was working at a dealership in the early sixties when a '56 Dodge (Plodge) 2 door hardtop was traded in, I had to have it! I talked to the previous owner, a aircraft mechanic, and he said that he had installed a 318 and the trans from a '59 sport fury in it but he could never get the push buttons to work right and neutral was drive but it drove fine. I drove it like that for four years.
56D500boy
Posted 2019-12-26 4:59 PM (#592052 - in reply to #592025)
Subject: RE: 58 torqueflite engages reverse in Neutral

Expert 5K+

Saurer - 2019-12-26 6:40 AM My 1958 Chrysler Windsor Torqueflite has a problem: when push Neutral button to start the car, half second after, engages Reverse with N button pressed (the vaccum switch in intake manifold is bad so i can't put it in neutral while engine running).
Despite this, the torqueflite seems perfect. Shifts perfectly and smooth. Engages all R,D,2,1 correctly.
Should the cable be adjusted or maybe the problem is in the buttons control unit?

I am guessing that your cable position in the transmission housing is not adjusted 100% correctly.

Here is info posted recently by 57Chizler:

Here is a photo of the shifter comb (from Phil C. in France) that might help you imagine what the issue is.

Also this thread shows how the throws of an early torqueflite shifter box work:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70397&...

Saurer
Posted 2019-12-27 8:31 AM (#592079 - in reply to #592025)
Subject: Re: 58 torqueflite engages reverse in Neutral

Thanks for your help! According to the research i've made, yes, it will be probaly the adjustemnt of control cable. I have to put myself behind the car tomorrow and study the case! I will cbahge the transmission fluid also tomorrow.
I know the Torqueflite was rebuilt by previous owner 25 years ago, and since then the car was stopoed almoust time. I think it would not had more than 1000km since rebuild work. It has no leaks and works fine, so i hope it woulnd't need repair in the next years!
wizard
Posted 2019-12-27 1:35 PM (#592087 - in reply to #592025)
Subject: Re: 58 torqueflite engages reverse in Neutral

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Since you're going to change the fluid, pull the pan and clean the inside from eventual residues. With the pan demounted you can easily check the cable adjustemnt and verify that the ball goes in all the positions of the semi-crescent lever.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)