The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Heater/ Defrost System
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Heating, Cooling and Air ConditioningMessage format

no_jive55
Posted 2020-02-09 1:23 PM (#593980)
Subject: New Heater/ Defrost System

I am restoring a 1960 Plymouth station wagon and I am getting to the point where I am setting up the heat/ defrost system. At some point in the car's life someone took a hammer and bashed in the cardboard ventilation system under the dash in order to make room for an aftermarket AC unit. So I have nothing to work with or go off of as a reference. I was considering purchasing a Vintage Air unit that is just heat and defrost https://www.vintageair.com/heater-only/#. I'm not going to have AC, just heat and defrost. Is this a good way to go with the Vintage Air unit? Does anybody have another system that they have used?

Also, I was considering routing the ventilation system to the rear of the wagon so that I could defrost the rear window. Has anybody seen a set up like that? If so, how was it executed?

Edited by no_jive55 2020-02-09 4:40 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
51coronet
Posted 2020-03-06 7:14 PM (#595331 - in reply to #593980)
Subject: Re: New Heater/ Defrost System

Extreme Veteran

You may already know but in case you don't. The factory rear defrosters was a fan mounted on the rear package tray and pulled cabin air then blew it on the rear window. I wouldnt route anything from the heater core here. If you need heat back there a 12v heater with some custom mounting, shroud, and switch would work pretty well. 3 position switch for fan, off, and heated fan. The old cardboard routing can be repaired or custom made with some time and fiberglass resin plus the mesh. You can make a custom fit shroud off the heater core. Only thing that gets tricky is if you want exclusive windshield, floor, face level or mixture of them. Making a switchable gate is the tricky part. You may be able to source one off ebay. Most of them should be very very similar for each make and multiple years.

I think the vintage air is pricey for what you get.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)