The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 Desoto driveshaft
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

jayvan77
Posted 2020-03-12 5:18 PM (#595530)
Subject: 1955 Desoto driveshaft

My son has asked this question in a facebook chat, but I thought that I would ask the experts here. He has a 1955 Desoto Firedome that he transplanted the motor and transmission into a 1955 Desoto Fireflite. The Fireflite was just a roller. Both cars are 4 doors. The drive shaft on the Firedome has a ball and trunnion on each end of the driveshaft. The rear end on the Fireflite was made for the u-joint style. Trying to save money we just swapped the rear ends instead of finding a u-joint style driveshaft. After the swap, the driveshaft is too long. When compressed all of the way, the shaft is still a quarter of an inch too long even though the rear end is hanging and would be the longest the drive shaft would extend. All the measurements where the rear end attaches to the leaf springs appear to be the same on both cars. I know we can have the drive shaft shortened, but wanted to make sure there isn't something wrong. Any ideas? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2020-03-12 6:27 PM (#595532 - in reply to #595530)
Subject: Re: 1955 Desoto driveshaft

Expert

I would suggest getting the car on the ground, then recheck the fit, as the springs flatten from the weight the rear will move back some.
jayvan77
Posted 2020-03-14 10:36 AM (#595596 - in reply to #595530)
Subject: Re: 1955 Desoto driveshaft

We will give that a try.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)