The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power Steering Bracket "Slop"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-01 5:41 PM (#599074)
Subject: Power Steering Bracket "Slop"

Veteran

Afternoon everyone,

I pray this finds everyone safe and sound considering all the craziness that's happening all around us. Please stay safe no matter what you're doing.

Today I was tightening up the belts on my '60 Adventurer and noticed some "slop" in the bracket halves for the power steering pump, between parts A and B. I also noticed that the hole for the rubber snubber empty (Item C) and was wondering if this could be the source of the slop. Please see illustration attached.

I have located the snubber on eBay and was wondering it anyone has replaced one of these. The snubber I found is at : https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1968-MOPAR-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-SNUBBER...

Thanks for the assistance for anyone who can help.

Again, please take care.

Edited by NC Adventurer 2020-06-01 6:45 PM

(Desoto Power Steering Bracket.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Desoto Power Steering Bracket.JPG (44KB - 316 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
b5rt
Posted 2020-06-01 9:41 PM (#599078 - in reply to #599074)
Subject: Re: Power Steering Bracket "Slop"

Expert

http://www.chrysler300club.com/rcmstuff/nelsonsteer/nelsonsteer.htm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boTnyF4n4TY&feature=youtu.be
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-02 4:00 AM (#599090 - in reply to #599078)

Veteran

Thanks a million, Greg. I really appreciate Gary Nelson's approach to the rebuild - making it better than it was designed. I'll be calling him today about sending him my bracket.

Take care and have a great week!
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-04 6:14 PM (#599255 - in reply to #599078)

Veteran

I enjoyed a great conversation with Gary Nelson the other day. He seems like a fabulous gentleman and a true enthusiast.

Unfortunately, he is no longer doing the modifications to the brackets anymore and has turned his attentions to his own projects, which is totally understandable. He was able to provide me with some very valuable guidance on how to achieve the results of his well-engineered modification to the bracket. I will be pulling my bracket this weekend and will let you know what I find. I am sure any of us with the right tools, patience, and amber refreshment could perform the task.

Thanks again for the heads up on a resource for great information.
b5rt
Posted 2020-06-04 9:33 PM (#599263 - in reply to #599074)

Expert

There's a lot of good information on the 300 club site. Glad it helped.
51coronet
Posted 2020-06-07 4:45 PM (#599377 - in reply to #599074)

Extreme Veteran

Is it the bushing hole getting bigger causing the slop?
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-07 6:00 PM (#599381 - in reply to #599377)

Veteran

51coronet - 2020-06-07 4:45 PM

Is it the bushing hole getting bigger causing the slop?

There is actually no factory bushing from what I can see or have found on other examples of the bracket. I haven't been able to remove the bracket to investigate but it seemed t be one of those design items I thought may be more wide-spread than just my car and the reason for my original posting. After speaking with Gary Nelson, I am convinced that I will find the "slop" is related to the through-bolt at the bottom of the bracket and the lack of bushings, as those are my initial findings from working on it while its still installed.

I've been doing a bit of research on the issue and believe I have come up with a simplified design for installing and even sourcing bronze bushings to remove the movement associated with the bracket at the junction where the pieces converge.

I'll post more of my findings and repair, in the hopes it will help someone else in the future.

Edited by NC Adventurer 2020-06-07 6:03 PM
51coronet
Posted 2020-06-07 8:34 PM (#599389 - in reply to #599074)

Extreme Veteran

I have been known to use threaded rod for accessory brackets. The ability to tighten down several areas of a bracket with one through rod and several nuts and washers helps. Only issue is it doesn't look great. Trade off with functionality and cosmetics.

Edited by 51coronet 2020-06-07 8:35 PM
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-07 9:09 PM (#599390 - in reply to #599389)

Veteran

51coronet - 2020-06-07 8:34 PM

I have been known to use threaded rod for accessory brackets. The ability to tighten down several areas of a bracket with one through rod and several nuts and washers helps. Only issue is it doesn't look great. Trade off with functionality and cosmetics.

In my younger days I did something similar at times, similar to the picture attached here. The difference is that the bottom mount on the alternators when I did that were solid and didn't allow for movement other than the intended back and forth during adjustments. The problem I am finding is that there is front to back movement when the belt is adjusted correctly in the bracket assembly. My plan is to dig into it tomorrow and see what I find when its off the car. will keep you posted.

Edited by NC Adventurer 2020-06-07 9:11 PM

(Turnbuckle Alternator Adjuster.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Turnbuckle Alternator Adjuster.jpg (54KB - 308 downloads)
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-09 2:57 PM (#599478 - in reply to #599074)

Veteran

The saga continues...

So I pulled off the bracket and checked the holes at the bottom of both the pieces (where the hinge action is) only to find no noticeable damage or out of round condition of the holes where the pivot bolt goes through them. I did, however, notice that there is a "sizeable difference in the width of the inner and outer parts of the brackets where they made, leaving a gap and the ability of the inner bracket to move somewhat within the outer.

I also noticed that there's not a lot of meat on the three sides of the 3/8" hole, meaning that drilling them out to accept the 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD bushing would require moving the center of the hole farther up the bracket, changing the fulcrum point. Before attempting that, I believe I will try to insert a washer into the two gaps between the brackets and see if that takes up the slop enough to prevent the movement between them.

Until next time, when we hear out hero say...

NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-21 5:15 PM (#599971 - in reply to #599074)

Veteran

When we last left off, Nell was tied to the tracks and screaming for her life as the villain dashed away with her money, jewels and virtue...

OK, so I've had some time to dig into this power steering pump bracket issue and have noticed several things that appear to be the cause of the back and forth rocking of the power steering pump itself many are experiencing. Please keep in mind that my Desoto Adventurer only has 62,000 miles on the clock.

My findings are:

The holes on my bracket are not out of round. They're actually pretty pristine as far as a round hole in metal can be. Please see Items A and B in the images provided.

The pivot bolt shows significant wear, as illustrated at points D and E in the images, enough to leave a ridge capable of being easily felt by running a finger over it.

There is a gap, not truly significant in size itself to cause the issue by itself, but when combined with the wear on the pivot bolt it all adds up. The gap between the two halves of the bracket are approximately 1/16", possibly a hair more.

It has been suggested that the holes in the brackets (at the pivot point) be drilled out to allow for 1/2"x3/8"x5/8" bronze bushings to be installed. Unfortunately, its not as straight forward as it sounds.

The holes in the front (left) portion of the bracket have a sufficient of metal to allow for the 1/2"hole the bushings require. The rear (right) bracket does not have the necessary metal to allow for such a modification - if the holes are were kept in their original location - without leaving only 1/8" of material on two critical sides. The minimal amount of material will surely result in a cracked bracket due to the stress that is placed on it. Please see Items A, B and, especially C to see what I'm discussing here. The washer wear shown in A and C is approximately 1/2", demonstrating the lack of residual material if the original hols are enlarged to allow for the bushing installation.

If the holes are moved slightly higher up on the rear bracket, that would allow for sufficient material to prevent stress cracks. The bottom of the front bracket may require slight modification to allow the full movement of the brackets for adjustment of the belt.

My plan is to first attempt to acquire a replacement stock dimension pivot bolt. The original bolt is a Grade 5 and that should be sufficient when combined with the bronze bushings, which will be the second step of rectifying this issue.

Hopefully my findings will help someone else be able to quickly clear up the wobble they see in their power steering pump and slop they're encountering in the bracket.

Edited by NC Adventurer 2020-06-22 9:22 AM

(1.jpg)

(2.jpg)

(3.jpg)

(4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1.jpg (41KB - 308 downloads)
Attachments 2.jpg (42KB - 333 downloads)
Attachments 3.jpg (27KB - 306 downloads)
Attachments 4.jpg (44KB - 304 downloads)
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-07-26 3:33 PM (#601369 - in reply to #599074)

Veteran

The fix for the issue described above is actually pretty simple. Drill out the four holes at the hinge end of the bracket and install two bronze flange bushings while making sure everything stays in alignment while doing so. Really, A little forethought is all it took to get everything right and ready for installation. There is absolutely no slop in the bracket at all. before the modification, there was a considerable amount of slop that allowed the bracket to twist and allow the pulley/belt to come out of proper alignment.

The bushings are just slightly over 1/2" in diameter and were easily pressed in using a C clamp. The new bolt slides in perfectly.

Hope my efforts help someone correct the issue on their car and enjoy driving it more.

Edited by NC Adventurer 2020-07-26 3:39 PM

(RDPSB1.JPG)

(RDPSB2.JPG)

(RDPSB3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RDPSB1.JPG (66KB - 278 downloads)
Attachments RDPSB2.JPG (62KB - 294 downloads)
Attachments RDPSB3.JPG (51KB - 292 downloads)
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-07-27 7:22 AM (#601392 - in reply to #601369)

Veteran

Installed the bracket and pump yesterday. Its rock solid with no extra movement at all. While not a big project, its always good to see a project go so well and come out with positive results.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)