The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Suburban left front dragging...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-09 1:17 AM (#599437)
Subject: 57 Suburban left front dragging...

Veteran

I've got a front brake dragging issue so I came here looking for into. What I read started quickly devolving into "disk vs. drum".

I'm not converting to disk. I'm looking for info on how to save adjuster plates, what paint to use on backing plates, what is a good source for wheel cylinders or parts etc.

The first thing I noticed was a stretched nearly to breaking, rubber hose. I'd drop the picture but it says the pics are too big. I just used the same camera, same settings a week ago to post transmission pics. I wonder if the forum changed the limit on pic size recently or something?

Anyway, if someone's got some advice on backing plate coatings, maybe if I should strip the adjuster plates...should they be separated and blasted? That sort of stuff, it would be greatly appreciated.

The plates are not sticking at all, there's rust on them but it's not in on the cams or anything.

Thanks,

Wayne

Edited by jaded13640 2020-06-09 8:36 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mobileparts
Posted 2020-06-09 10:23 AM (#599448 - in reply to #599437)
Subject: Re: 57 Suburban left front dragging...

Veteran

You asked for a parts source.... I am the guy who supplies 3/4 of the people
On this website (the smart 3/4 !!!!!) With their parts...
I have the Master Cylinder, the six (6) Wheel Cylinders, +++ N.O.S. +++
Asbestos Brake Shoes --- the softest, smoooooothest braking system known
To mankind, and the ONLY Brake Shoes that should be put on a
Forward Look car....., Brake Hoses, the Forward Emergency Brake Cable,
The Emergency Brake Shoes, and a whoooooooole lot more.....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935 ..... New York...
jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-09 10:44 AM (#599450 - in reply to #599437)

Veteran

LOL, I got a good chuckle out of your sales spheele. I'll give you a call. If I can get a couple of cups for the front wheels cylinders locally, I will just because I kinda want them in hand today if possible but I doubt anyone still stocks boots and cups and stuff like they used to. What do you recommend for coatings on backing plates? I was just going to blast and paint them "Engine gloss black". Will that hold up?

Thanks,

Wayne
big m
Posted 2020-06-09 11:14 AM (#599453 - in reply to #599437)

Expert 5K+

I recommend Craig for brakes. Aftermarket linings are just too hard, and at minimum create a harmonic squeal when braking, which is annoying at least.

Gloss black is fine for the backing plates, they should never be subjected to any high heat unless brakes are adjusted too tight or sticking. Anywhere the shoe backing touches the platforms or backing plate, be sure to use a small dab of grease, to prevent metal to metal friction and extra wear.

---John
jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-09 2:17 PM (#599476 - in reply to #599437)

Veteran

You know John, not that you mention it there was something on the adjuster plates where one of the wheel cylinders stat. It looked like two sided tape or something had gotten in there but now I wonder if you aren't maybe supposed to use some sort of stuff between the wheel cylinder and the plates. Any thoughts on it and what might go there? Well, I supposed Craig would be the guy to ask huh?

I'll give him a call.

Wayne
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-09 3:22 PM (#599480 - in reply to #599437)
Subject: RE: 57 Suburban left front dragging...

Veteran

jaded13640 - 2020-06-09 1:17 AM

I've got a front brake dragging issue so I came here looking for into. What I read started quickly devolving into "disk vs. drum".

I'm not converting to disk. I'm looking for info on how to save adjuster plates, what paint to use on backing plates, what is a good source for wheel cylinders or parts etc.

The first thing I noticed was a stretched nearly to breaking, rubber hose. I'd drop the picture but it says the pics are too big. I just used the same camera, same settings a week ago to post transmission pics. I wonder if the forum changed the limit on pic size recently or something?

Anyway, if someone's got some advice on backing plate coatings, maybe if I should strip the adjuster plates...should they be separated and blasted? That sort of stuff, it would be greatly appreciated.

The plates are not sticking at all, there's rust on them but it's not in on the cams or anything.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

I broke all my brake components down and had the backing plates glass beaded blasted and powder coated in chassis black. For the brake support plate, I had them blasted and sprayed them with some clear Rustoleum. They look great and should hold up flawlessly to the corrosion often found with the system.

As for parts, I support going with Craig, as Big M said. Craig has the correct, high-grade parts, sells them at more than fair prices and ships quickly. He hauled an entire brake system to Hershey so that I could pick them up directly from him. He went out of his way to support my needs. I'd say one of the best things about knowing Craig is his depth of knowledge on the parts we need to keep our cars moving down the road.

Best of luck with your project!

Sincerely,

Todd

jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-09 4:56 PM (#599483 - in reply to #599437)

Veteran

Thanks Todd. I just called him and left him my number. I found some wheel cylinder cups locally. My shoes are probably good. I got them a few years ago from one of those really old auto parts stores where the old dude behind the counter knew everything there ever was to know about cars...and them some. I got his number from someone else who got it from someone else and I ended up running to Grand Rapids to pick them up. They were supposed to be NOS. A pair of shoes that just still happened to be on the shelf. BUT...I will get a pair from him just because.

Thanks again,

Wayne
jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-09 10:41 PM (#599491 - in reply to #599437)

Veteran

Well...my baby's got a new pair of shoes coming. I'm going to have another look at the method of holding the adjusting plates together. They are pressed over, I don't know for sure if I can redo that to get them back together.

Todd did you reassemble the plates yourself? If so what did you do?

Thanks,

Wayne
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-06-10 8:36 AM (#599497 - in reply to #599491)

Veteran

jaded13640 - 2020-06-09 10:41 PM

Well...my baby's got a new pair of shoes coming. I'm going to have another look at the method of holding the adjusting plates together. They are pressed over, I don't know for sure if I can redo that to get them back together.

Todd did you reassemble the plates yourself? If so what did you do?

Thanks,

Wayne

Morning Wayne,

I took the whole brake system (minus the hard lines) off the car and rebuilt it all. New bearings, new seals, powder coating, new wheel cylinders, new rubber lines, etc - the works. I flushed the hard lines until they ran clean. (My car has sat for the better part of 50 years without moving much)

The brake shoe support plates were not disassembled but were soaked, blasted and cleaned with the long Q-Tips and compressed air to ensure every bit of crud possible was removed from them. They were lubed with the same high-temp bearing grease I use. The hubs were inspected before and after they were powder coated. As my car weighs almost 4,000 pounds, I'd rather put all due diligence into doing it all right the first time around.

I hope your rebuild goes as smoothly as mine did. As I continue to correct all the little things I find, I feel better that the maiden cruise will be a fulfilling experience.
jboymechanic
Posted 2020-06-10 12:21 PM (#599503 - in reply to #599437)

Expert

For the brake adjusters, I usually soak them in the degreaser tank and then wipe and blow dry. I then oil the adjusters and spin them for a couple of minutes with my impact driver, this knocks out and smooths out any debris or rust inhibiting the adjusters from turning. I then re-clean and grease. Adjusters remain tight, but turn smoothly without having to put a breaker bar on them or worrying about rounding off the hex heads.
jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-10 7:39 PM (#599519 - in reply to #599437)

Veteran

Excellent! Our power went out so I'm not going to blast the adjuster plates, I'm wire wheeling all the rust off. I soaked him thoroughly in the parts washer and will again when I'm done de-rusting it. My cams were spinning freely before I started. I guess I'm lucky to have never rounded the adjuster hexes. I'm curious about the high temp grease you use Todd. Do you know the brand name or grade? I would like to try to use the same thing.

I am getting ready to start a new thread in the transmission section. I just rebuilt the tranny in the 62 Fury convertible and it worked bad ass, I was able to get an extra set of frictions in the front clutch and of course all fresh new parts throughout. But the other day he was driving it and it wouldn't shift to third until he lifted off the throttle. If anyone viewing this is a transmission person please answer my thread in the Transmission section. I could take it back out and rebuild it but I'd like any ideas that I might be able to try that involves leaving the transmission in the car.

Thanks again guys, as always, you've been a big help.

Wayne
jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-21 10:08 AM (#599947 - in reply to #599437)
Subject: RE: 57 Suburban left front dragging...

Veteran

photo
jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-27 4:31 PM (#600192 - in reply to #599437)

Veteran

I said it in the thread about converting the brakes over to a dual pot master cylinder but I'll say it again here.

Craig and his parts and all you guys that helped me along the way deserve a big shout out.

Thank you all very much!

Wayne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)