The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Suburban Torqueflite Rebuild
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

jaded13640
Posted 2020-06-14 10:34 AM (#599651)
Subject: 57 Suburban Torqueflite Rebuild

Veteran

The trans in the Suburban is in desperate need of a rebuild. I got the kit the other day and I've been studying the service manual until my eyes cross. So far the only thing that really concerns me is the number of special tools they show.

I'd like to discuss with people who have gone through the process about what special tools are critical and what ones just make it easier.

Some items I can make. Like for example it shows the use of guide pins in several areas. I have a lathe so I can make stuff like that. I've been using a three handy slide type clamps for assembling the springs and retainer in the front clutch on A727's. I don't know if the 57's trans will be similiar enough so that I can do that or if I'll have to come up with something else.

As I've talked about before, it's main issue is a long delay going into drive when you first start it. I've seen other threads about this and it seem to commonly be front clutch seals. Some have had good results with using transmission additives. I've used Lucas Transfix, Marvel's Mystery oil and a couple of other products. None helped me so I suspect it not rubber seals and may be sealing rings.

But I'm totally in the dark on this rebuild. I've been doing A727's for many years for drag racing but I'm no "real transmission builder". I can readily identify most parts from the diagrams in the manual but I don't know any assembly tricks or what to look for in terms of places to inspect for wear aside from what the manual specifically says. I'm hoping guys can help out in situations like, "when you take this part off watch out for that spring that'll try to fly out..."

I'll be starting the process in a couple of weeks. I've got a brake project going on the car right now, then I have to figure out what's going on with the 727 I just rebuilt in my buddy's 62 Fury. A couple of members have been very helpful in offering suggestions on that so hopefully that won't be a long drawn out delay. In the mean time I'll be reading out of the manual and trying to prepare myself for the process.

Thanks,

Wayne

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)