The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parking gear cable for 1960 Dart Phoenix
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

willits18
Posted 2020-11-19 12:14 PM (#605791)
Subject: Parking gear cable for 1960 Dart Phoenix

I recently purchased this car and was told it needed a parking brake cable. On this car it is actually a parking gear cable as it goes to the transmission and locks it up. There is a parking brake pedal assembly in the car that works like a parking brake-when depressed it tightens the cable. The only thing is that when tightened the transmission is NOT locked up. When the cable is pushed back into the housing is when the transmission locks up. There is no actual parking brake at all and doesn't look like there ever was one. There is no drum on the driveshaft behind the tranny, and no cable system to the rear wheels-also doesn't look like there ever was. The cable is broken at the top where it hooks into the pedal assembly. It looks like it was meant for a 5/19 bolt that adjusts. Did these work in reverse-pedal down to drive, pedal released to lock up the transmission? I think I can have a new cable made but as near as I can tell it would operate in reverse order-pedal depressed to drive. I have worked on a lot of older cars-I have a 56 Coronet (parking brake is a drum behind tranny), but I have never seen anything like this. All/any help greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tracy In Omaha.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57chizler
Posted 2020-11-19 1:23 PM (#605797 - in reply to #605791)
Subject: RE: Parking gear cable for 1960 Dart Phoenix

Expert

See my reply in the General forum.
Phatton
Posted 2020-11-24 11:46 AM (#605980 - in reply to #605791)
Subject: Re: Parking gear cable for 1960 Dart Phoenix

Veteran

My 60 Dart Phoenix with a 318 has a drum behind the tranny
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)