The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newer front drum brakes?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

pennerdodge
Posted 2020-11-20 3:27 PM (#605840)
Subject: Newer front drum brakes?

Regular

Looking to get 57 plymouth on the road in spring, as inexpensively as safely possible. Will need all new master cyl., wheel cylinders, shoes,etc. I will likely change to a 60's style dual master, as this is what i have generally done on all this older stuff. I am fine with drums, don't want to spend the money to upgrade to discs. Does anyone know if there is an easy upgrade for the front drums to newer 60s or 70's single cylinder brakes? I have access to 69 polara parts car, would those backing plates and drums fit on the older car or do i just have to rebuild the original 57 brakes?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
58coupe
Posted 2020-11-21 1:37 PM (#605889 - in reply to #605840)
Subject: Re: Newer front drum brakes?

Expert

Not sure they are a direct bolt on. You will have to just try. The originals are 11" x2" and the 69 Polara are probably 11" x 3" so the correct spacing may be the problem.
NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-11-21 4:15 PM (#605895 - in reply to #605889)

Veteran

Hi Dave,

Why change what isn't broken? The parts are available to ensure your braking system is in top-notch condition. Retrofitting a system from another vehicle to yours - a vehicle it was not engineered for - is a risky undertaking. I just rebuilt the brakes all the way around on my 1960 Desoto Adventurer with all stock parts. The vendor who helped me was Craig from Mobile Parts in NY. He has the wheel cylinders and drums in stock and ships very quickly - literally the best deal in town, in my opinion. Craig may be reached at 516-485-1935. If you need parts that Craig wouldn't have (brake backing plates, for example), I'd contact Benny Buckner in Princeton, WV. Benny and his crew of magicians create stunning works of art in terms of restored cars from the Forward Look era. He has 22 acres of donor cars that keep his work going but he's always the gentleman with whom to deal on hard to get parts. He may be reached at 304-920-1422. Best of luck in your project!
mobileparts
Posted 2020-11-21 9:03 PM (#605907 - in reply to #605840)

Veteran

Thanks for the shout out, Todd N C Adventurer ......

Penner Dodge,
As mentioned, I do have all quality U.S.A. made parts for you -- and the single to
Dual 4 wheel drum brake master cylinder... That, as mentioned, is probably the best way
to go....
The conversion you are mentioning to the 1960s set up -- will be a 2-to-3 year ordeal
with countless problems....
Sometimes, the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies....
If you can call the U.S.A. for FREE, you are always welcome to call me ---
516 - 485 - 1935.... If not, leave me your phone number here or in a P.M. ---
I CAN call CANADA for FREE, EH??? (That EH was for you !!!!!)
Yours, Craig......
pennerdodge
Posted 2020-11-23 10:02 AM (#605949 - in reply to #605907)

Regular

Thanks for the advice, i think that you are correct; it probably isn't worth the trouble to start changing things for whatever small advantage i would gain. I will rebuild the stock brakes, its really only the normal stuff that the car needs, cylinders, hard lines, soft lines, shoes, and maybe drums ( I have not measured them). No need to create new problems by modifying things, and its not like we have any hills or traffic where i am Lol.
mobileparts
Posted 2020-11-23 10:06 PM (#605965 - in reply to #605840)

Veteran

Smart Man -- when you want to use the car as a taxi cab in New York City,
you may want to consider making changes.....
Happy Thanksgiving.... I know you have one up in Canada, EH???
P.M. me here, Email me at mobileparts@yahoo.com or call me if you
can for FREE when you are ready..... Yours, Craig....
Stroller
Posted 2020-12-10 12:00 PM (#606581 - in reply to #605840)

Extreme Veteran

After many years with my '56 using the born with wheel cylinders I finally went ahead and ordered all 8 new Raybestos wheel cylinders. Had the shoes relined with organic material as this thing does not see heavy big city stop and go traffic. With the single master cylinder and it's funky filler reservoir it stops on a dime. Now my '60 I know what later years will interchange as far as ball joints go for which chrysler used the same parts. To that spindle height for a conversion may not be the same as OE drum spindle. Also if outer tie rod from donor will fit adjuster sleeve of receiving car.

I still say conversions can be a major nightmare.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)