IML: Old cars and safety

Hi list

Stock or not it's our beloved Imperials (and other old
cars) that are always in danger on the road -- not the
new cars in danger of getting cars by us.

>From the October '04 Hot Rod article about the Hot Rod
Power Tour(and I quote)
Day 4
This is the best day so far, not too hot and the roads
are mild twisties where you can get away with 60 or
65. The hills are gorgeous and it just doesn't get any
better than this.
Just as I say that to the Hot Rod photographer, we
come upon a really bad car wreck. I see what looks
like a Chevy Corsica or Beretta with both ends caved
in. Across the road is a car that I can't identify
anymore and up the road about 50 yards is a '56
Pontiac that I noticed two dayd ago because it was so
perfect. The once beautiful ride is crushed. The
driver's wife has been taken to the hospital but
she'll be OK. Turns out that a woman was in the
left-turn lane and another woman who was looking at
all the cool hot rods plowed into her at speed. The
first car was shoved across the road and into the
Pontiac which happened to be going by at that exact
moment.
It gets me fired up when the news talks about hot
rodders being a problem. During the week I was on the
Power Tour I never drove safer. OK, so forget about
the 83 with a trailer. Hot rodders actually drive --
that's the point. We're not on the phone because we
can't hear the phone and we're paying attention to the
road because we don't want civilians to crash into us
while they're reading the paper in the fast lane. Hot
rodders are just better drivers, period.
Who do you want to drive next to, the guy with the
irreplaceable big-block Corvette, or the VW driver on
a 189-dollar-a-month lease? I know who's paying more
attention to the road.
(end quote)

Even for those of us that drive our cars daily (maybe
we are on the phone -- not me) but you still can't be
careful enough. A few years ago, a buddy of mine with
a 4dr '65 Imperial was driving when a new truck pulled
out in front of him ...
Slight grill and fender damage on the Imperial, the
truck was totalled.

Paul
'65 Imperial Crown Coupe - Mauve Metallic/Black
Plum/Persian White