Re: IML: Cheap is as cheap does

>From: "Hugh & Therese" <hugtrees@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: Cheap is as cheap does.
>
>I realize that generalizations are always risky but, as
> a group, many of us seem to be a bit unrealistic
>when it comes to prices.  In essence, I think
>the majority of us are just plain cheap.  We want
>the best but don't want to pay the prices.  This is
>not an inexpensive hobby.

     I'm certainly cheap in the sense that I've never owned a new car (never
will, barring lottery luck, or something), and the most I've ever paid for a
car was $6500 - for my long lost favorite '62 Crown. I've had ten cars in my
lifetime, and the other nine didn't cost as much combined as that one gem.
On the other hand, I'm not terribly shy of dumping money into a car once I
have it.
     Maybe we're not cheap, but just broke? I guess if I made a hundred
grand a year, I wouldn't cringe when I saw an Imperial going for twenty
thousand....

>I am pretty cheap myself but sometimes you just
>have to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
>  Imperials are gas hogs

   Gas mileage, phooey. Even super costs a lot less than milk - life's too
short to drive little cars (unless they're little cars you like).

>and parts for them ain't easy to find or cheap to acquire.

   I usually have just the opposite experience - parts seem cheaper than
those for a lot of new cars, and more readily available than I once
expected. Of course, the older they get the more this becomes the case -
parts for a '55 are probably way more of a pain than anything I've had to
find.

>Financially, you ain't gonna get back the money you sink it to them.

   Too true. I'm always taken aback when someone says they're buying a car
as an investment. I guess it can work out if you catch the popularity curve
just right.

>Mechanically, they are difficult to work on.

    Really? My mechanics are always happy to see my car, and you should hear
the way they complain about Saabs, Subarus, VWs, etc.

>But, and it is the biggest and best but of all, the upside is that
>they are wonderful cars to drive.
>
>That's the way it is.

    Darn tootin' .
       -Kle.