RE: IML: 67' No Brake Light Issue...

I've been gone for the last 4 days, but I see this discussion continues.   I
want to make sure that people realize that the turn signal switches are
quite different depending on whether your car has tilt-o-scope or not.  The
ones that most of us have are the tilt-o-scope (I happened to have one of
the non-tilt cars also).  Be sure to specify which you have if you are
ordering either the repair kit or the whole switch.

Also, changing this switch requires that you have three special tools.  Two
of them are rather easy to make if you have a well equipped shop (the one to
depress the retainer collar so you can remove the "C" clip, and the one to
unlatch the retainers for the individual wires in the electrical plug) but
the third one is a real bear to make (the one to remove the sheet metal trim
sleeve that hides all the mechanism from prying eyes.)  Attempting to remove
this sleeve without the proper tool is likely to result in some unsightly
damage to your steering column - this job is best left to someone with the
right tool.

It is POSSIBLE, if you are very careful, patient, have 20/10 eyesight, can
see in the dark, and have tiny hands with built in hemostats to pull the
wires, to replace the switch in a Tilt wheel column without the third tool
(I've done it three times, but I had to run my fingers through a pencil
sharpener to make them small enough!), but this job is not for the faint of
heart.

One further caution:  These are collapsible steering columns; they cannot
take ANY KIND of abrupt blow or heavy push either to the side or down. Once
the collapse mechanism is tripped, it cannot be repaired; the whole column
must be replaced.  So be careful out there, kids - this is not a fun thing
to work on!

Dick Benjamin