Re: IML: IML DIGEST

Yes a good idea at the time sort of thing, all I can suggest is that is someone on the list has a rusted but not Totaly shot pair they wanted to post over to Australia I would start looking into Reproducing/Repairing. But they would need to be mostly there for me to get the shape correct, any one up for it? This would take a while, so you would be without them for some time, regards George.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: IML: IML DIGEST

Hello again-

For those not familiar with the 55 IMP exhaust pods-yes, the pipes run through the exhaust. A major engineering boo-boo that quickly caused corrosion from hot gases combined with moisture. The pods looked great-a beautiful treatment for the problem of unsightly exhaust pipes, which are always black and ugly(except on trailer queens!)

I ran new pipes all the way through the pods years ago, so the exhaust came out past the chrome work. However, it was too late. The bottoms of the pods have rusted out. They are of heavy steel, perhaps a skilled welder could repair them before re-chroming. I have never found anyone who could, nor have I ever found a usable pair anywhere. I have owned my IMP for almost thirty years-and have given up finding a solution.

Ma Mopar quickly returned to the standard two-pipe-out-the-back exhaust in 56. I think some Cads had the same set-up in the 50's also- 54=-56? but not sure-

                                                                                               ted