Re: IML: 65 shift problems

  We have a '65 original car with about 80,000 miles on it. While we've had some troubles with transmission fluid leaks (gasket around the pan), that problem was solved by changing to another brand of after-market gasket.  However, the shifting mechanism has always worked perfectly. The big problem has been the indicator on the dash board.  A small cable connecting the pointer to the shifting mechanism is the culprit. After a home engineered redesign, the thing works fine now.  One could complain that there's a little "backlash" with the pointer (it doesn't always point exactly to the gear depending on whether you're moving the selector lever backwards of forwards), but there's no question what gear you're in.  I understand this is a very common problem with the '65 year (first year after pushbuttons), and, indeed, when we got this car the indicator did not work.  Several other people with '65's told me not to worry about it - "they never work". but it bothered me and we now have a working one.  If this turns out to be your problem, and you'd like more details of the fix, let me know.
                                                                                                Bob W

Cebuisle2@xxxxxxx wrote:
Rob

The 65 shift cable was a one-year wonder-They stretch in use, and then the shift points go south. I had the trans on my 65 rebuilt also, but mechanics would not guarantee it to work well without a new cable. Bought a NOS cable, still have it somewhere out in the garage as I never installed it. It is a bear to get in. I can measure it for length if this will help you and you can compare it with yours, although the measurements probably aren't more than a fraction of an inch off before it malfunctions. Chrysler went to levers in 66 which eliminated the stretched cable problem.

My crown convert has been off road for years now, can';t remember the exact procedure for installing it-
                                                                                        TED

Do you Yahoo!?
Meet the all-new My Yahoo! ? Try it today!