Re: IML: Need help with my '55 air cleaner

Re: IML: Need help with my '55 air cleaner

The air cleaner comes apart so that you can scrub out the sump area with a parts brush and solvent. From your post I can't tell exactly what you have done, but there really isn't any place that you can trap solvent.

DO NOT rinse it with water. If you can't figure it out, take it to an auto repair shop that has a solvent bath and air gun. If you go this route, you should probably just allow them to service it and give it back to you.

There is a mark in the sump that says what the oil level should be and also what kind. If you put too much oil in it, or the incorrect type, you will suck it through the carb and burn it out through the exhaust.

The shop manual is very clear on how to service this and there isn't that much that can go wrong.

Paul