IML: ...And I thought old Imperials were worthless!!

IML: ...And I thought old Imperials were worthless!!

I apologize in advance. Please excuse this topic, as
it has limited Imperial content. It's OK if people
only reply directly to me, although I do think it
could be an interesting discussion topic. Just think
how you would feel if this car was a Chrysler.

I have the opportunity to save a 1971 Lincoln Mark
III. The car is brown/brown with a parchment top. It
has only 29,000 miles, no rust/dents, a bunch of rare
options, 460 C-6, original paint, great chrome and
BEAUTIFUL leather interior. Give me a weekend and a
buffing wheel, and this thing could place at a show.
Haven't driven it, but I assume it will drive as nice
as it looks. I won't bore you with the story of "how"
I know about this car.

I have no idea why the current owner bought the car
about a year ago. He's old, and in my opinion has some
mental and substance abuse issues. All he ever did
with the car was: 1) Drive it home. 2) Park
it(uncovered) in a Michigan driveway for the last
year.

Well, this "storage" has really taken its toll on the
car. It's in a hillbilly area, and neighbor kids have
thrown rocks and caused two major (but repairable)
chips in the windshield. Worst of all, the idiot
current owner disconnected a drain tube for some kind
of funky rear vent system, resulting in about 2" of
standing water in the previously MINT trunk carpet.

The current owner paid $5000 for the car. Now his
property taxes are due, and he needs money BAD. I
figured this thing must be worth at least $3500, and I
think he'll accept that price. I'd like to save the
car, as I've done with so many Imperials, but I don't
want to flush $3500 down the toilet.

Shopped around on eBay and I can't find any of these
Lincolns, no matter how nice, selling for more than
$2500! (Owner would never accept that amount... Keep
in mind he's nuts, and would probably lose the house
first) I cannot believe how much these cars AREN'T
worth (Judging by eBay). Lots of #3 looking cars
selling for $800, $2500-$3000 seems to be top price.

I sat in the car, played with the power goodies,
listened to the radio, smelled the leather, etc. It
might not be a Mopar, but I reeeeaaaallllly like this
car. It's so freakin' plush!

Somebody tell me how I can play with this car till I
get bored, then sell it for at least $6000. Can they
ever be worth this kind of bread? I thought it would
go (cleaned-up) for at least $7500 before I looked on
eBay.

Somebody send me to an old Lincoln website, or tell me
how to justify buying this car. I've got way too many
old Mopars sitting around to just own this thing
forever, but I hate to see it turn to junk in the
hands of its whacked-out owner.