Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:53 AM
Subject: IML: An old question - reviving the Imperial

Dennis asked:

DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BRING BACK THE IMPERIAL NAME???

In a word, no.  Mercedes does not need any more rivals.  The Chrysler is stealing from Ford and Chevy.  Toyota and Honda are unaffected by its success.  The 300 appeals to folks who want to buy an American car.  The market for large American luxury cars is limited.  At this level, folks are very name conscious.  If you want to thumb your nose at the Jones, would having an Imperial have the same snob value as a Lexus, or a BMW, or a Mercedes?

The way that DCA is going, the German content of all its cars is increasing.  I recently saw an advert for the Chrysler Crossfire that actually called it flat out a German product.  The Pacifica, a fine vehicle, has a lot of German content, too.  Any new Imperial would be almost a rebadged Mercedes anyway, and I wonder if we purists would like that?  You think DCA is not capable of that?  Count the doors on the new so called Charger and sit still awhile.

Me, I like the fact that the Imperial is gone.  I don't want to see Imperial SUVs and pick up trucks.  That's how they sell Cadillac's these days.

Hugh