Re: IML: Breaking Free '56 Rear Hubs

Jeff:

Welcome to the world of the tapered axle... This is what you need to do: 1. Back off the brake shoes from the drum. 2. Carefully whack the drum on the outer (the other side of the shoe contact area) part with a sledge to release the shoes that are stuck to the drum or are canted at an angle as the pressure is applied. 3. Repeat #2. It will come off. Make sure you keep a nut on the axle or you will be replacing an axle. How do I know? Because my mechanic did it all wrong after I told him how to do it and he didn't listen!  I now have new axles for my 64 Plymouth Sport Fury... He broke the end off the axle after breaking the nut.

Sherwood Kahlenberg