Re: IML: Longevity of Our Beloved Imperials

Re: IML: Longevity of Our Beloved Imperials

Dimitrios has posited the idea that automotive longevity is in the hands of the owner, and in this I think he is correct, up to a point. Older cars like ours lend themselves to the committed tinkerer. All of their processes are essentially mechanical. Parts may be hard to find but not impossible and I am sure I am not the only one who has personally made a part for his car that works quite well. In my case it was the shift change linkage to the transmission. I remain in agreement with Dimitrios in questioning whether or not the owners of modern vehicles, with their intricate computer controls, and less robust construction, will allow for current vehicles to be operable in thirty years time. The ultimate irony will be that our Imperials will outlast a modern Lexus or Town Car or whatever by the fact that sustaining a modern vehicle will prove to be almost impossible.

Everything comes and goes, just like lovers and styles of clothes, wrote Joni Mitchell in the 1970s. Many modern cars are being marketed on the high level of recyclable content they contain. Owning a car older than five years is considered by some a sign that they are somehow falling behind in the rat race. Others fear incipient mechanical unreliability. For a whole host of reasons, most cars are disposed of with less than five years of purchase. A person who wants to own a new car will almost immediately begin to be unhappy with any purchased vehicle. Cars are seen as less constant in a person's life than a refrigerator. On the other hand, antiquity in certain objects is highly valued. The furniture, for example, that commands the highest price in the marketplace is often hundreds of years old. By its very age, it has increased its attraction and function. The music of the Beatles is likely to last longer than that of any current pop star you care to mention. In just this same way, our Imperials are well on their way to being highly regarded as classics. They are symbols of the age they were built. My 58 speaks to Eisenhower era optimism and prosperity. Examples of this time's Fords and Chevies, and even Chryslers and Dodges, that were made in greater quantities, may continue on as well, but I think it will be our cars, along with the Lincolns and the Cadillacs, that will be the emblems of the era. It is noticeable how often it is an Imperial that is put on the front cover of books, particularly Exner examples.

In this our private passion and willingness to keep them going will reap a reward that is almost impossible to quantify in terms of monetary value. I imagine that some of our Imperials, the ones we lovingly cherish today, will be maintained in museums in a few hundred years time. They are the pinnacle of automotive design for their day. We have every reason to be proud of them.

Hugh