RE: IML: car starts when it wants/ Starter?

RE: IML: car starts when it wants/ Starter?

The starter is a great place to begin. Easy to change and relatively inexpensive.

My experience has been that starters which have gone bad simply stopped working. Never had one actually "grind to a halt". I hope that is your problem. I won't mention the other possibilities that are crossing through my simple mind.

The original starter on my '60 LeBaron (probably the same as your '59 unit) did fail in an unusual way back in the late 1980's. I thought that it had been acting up over the years, so the failure was not a surprise at the time. It stopped working suddenly one day, but when it did, melted metal poured out of it onto the ground under the car. I was able to drive it home after rolling it down the hill with the ignition on and engaging the "1" button upon reaching 20 mph.

I bought a new starter and all was well until the bigger surprise one day that I still had my old problem of nothing happening upon turing the key (on occassion). It turned out that problem was never the starter in the first place, but rather the neutral safety switch, since replaced.

I never did find out why the original starter failed, and in such an unusual way. I may still have it in the garage and may take a look one day.

Paul