Re: IML: Power Steering hoses & Steering box -- '66 Imperial Crown

Re: IML: Power Steering hoses & Steering box -- '66 Imperial Crown

Hello Chris,

    I had a mechanic tell me the same thing,  he said I had to get my
steering pump replaced because of a small leak in it.  I thought that was a
bit excessive.  I replaced the power steering hose, ( bought at napa for
about 20.00) and replaced it.  Took about 5 minutes.  Then cleaned up
everything so if something started leaking again I could pinpoint it.  6
Months later I don't have a single drop of fluid.
    As a sidebar,  I think that when mechanics see our well care for
Imperials they think that we will spend any amount of money to keep them on
the road.  I once had a quote to fix a transmission leak for 1500.00.  As it
turned out I replaced the neutral safety switch for 6.00 and haven't had a
red stain on the driveway since.  After that experience I have decided that
I can mess something up a hundred times and still spend less than taking my
car to a mechanic that wants to vacation in Paris.  Who knows, mabye you do
need a rebuild,  but I would replace everything you feel comfortable doing
yourself and mabye some things you think of as a little challenging.  Keep
everything clean.  If you still have a problem after that find a mechanic
that doesn't have a shop that looks like everything is replaced when it gets
dirty, they have to pay for all that new equipment somehow and that somehow
is by finding things on your car that need replaced but really don't.
    The good news is that your car is fairly straight forward,  you don't
need expert help for 99 percent of the things that go wrong.

Chris M.
63 custom 2 door, myan gold