IML: electronic magneeto -- ??

Hello:
       I was curious about what an electronic magneeto is for?  The car is a 1965 and I haven't seen any magneetos in other 65's....  I recall seeing magneetos on tractors and DC-10 Catapillars when I was a kid, maybe motorcylces... never on a car..
       On a brighter note:  I was having the same problem Kenyon was with the stalling, and dead ingintion, etc.  I had one auto elec. guy come out, paid him 100$...... he badly replaced a fusible link and told me to buy a new battery... so I bought the new battery and nothing was different, only worse!  After he was done there were no headlights, tail-lights, accessories, etc. and still completely dead!  Called him to come back and he wouldn't return my call!
       O.K. !!  Getting to the point!  I called another auto elec. guy out today... he came out and re-did what the first guy did (and laughed), tested a few things and discovered that the ammeter was shot.  He was an honest guy and told me that he could rebuild it for one arm and one leg, or he could bypass it.... so he bypassed the ammeter in the dash, everything is fine now.... I thought that I was getting feedback from a bad ground in the tail-lights because stepping on the brake made the map light come on, but he explained the the current was seeking power from other connections because it wasn't getting any electricity from the ammeter...
       He mentioned that until I find a replacement ammeter that I may want to get a plug in voltmeter and use it.... goes right into the cigarette lighter.
       So point is:  I was having the same problem that Kenyon was -- sudden stalling, no starting, dead silence,  nothing with the key, then everything fine again, then nothing and  then not much later sudden death....
       Thanks in advance for any information on electronic magneetos!
       Eric