Re: IML: '57 Build quality, the lingering affects, and the policies of t

Re: IML: '57 Build quality, the lingering affects, and the policies of the major brands upon the little guys...

George Mason, Romney's predecessor, was the man behind the mergers.
Packard's Nance brought the other two firms together, Studebaker and
Packard, but when Mason died and Romney took over, the grand merger died.
And two years later so were the Nash and Hudson cars.

The merger of Nash and Hudson brought about some major changes.  Hudson was
rapidly heading to oblivion when Nash and Hudson merged in 1954.   Hudson
production hit a postwas peak of 159,100 for the 1949 model year but had
plunged to 50,550 for 1954.  1949 profits of $10 million had become a $10
million loss for 1953 and a $6 million loss for the first four months of
1954.   Given the results of the 1954 model year, Hudson would have lost
about $25 million for the 12 months of 1954.

Thus AMC made the decision to base the new 1955 Hudson Wasp and Hornet on
the Nash body and build it at the Nash plant in Kenosha, Wisconsin.  The
Wasp and Hornet used Hudson 6-cylinder engines while the Hornet V8 used the
Packard V8.  Hudson's compact, the Jet, was killed outright.  Jet production
came to 14,224 in the U.S. in 1954 plus a further 654 in Canada.   As a
result. the Hudson plant on Jefferson Avenue (across the street from the
Chrysler/Imperial plant) was closed.   Over 5,000 lost their jobs.   A
further 3,000 or so lost their jobs by the time all the Hudson plants were
closed a few years later, when the firm no longer needed Hudson flathead
sixes or the stamping plants.   The Hudson plants were not sold to any other
firm and, I believe, were demolished soon after AMC abandoned them.

The compact Hudson Jet had bodies built by Murray Body Corporation.  Murray
also built bodies for the Willys Aero, whose production came to a halt early
in 1955.  With that, Murray Body closed its doors.  And in Canada, Hudsons
were built by Chatco Steel Products (known as Canada Top & Body before WWII)
in Tilbury, Ontario.  Without the Hudson business, Chatco faded from the
scene and was gone by 1958.

By the way, the Chrysler/Imperial plant on Jefferson Avenue was the former
Chalmers plant.  And the reason Chalmers and Hudson had plants next to each
other is that the two were started by the same people.   Roy D. Chapin and
Howard Coffin designed a car in 1906 and got E.R. Thomas of Buffalo, New
York, to back the firm, which began building cars in Detroit in a new plant
on Jefferson Avenue.    By 1908 the Thomas-Detroit firm brought in Hugh
Chalmers to spark sales and the Thomas-Detroit became the Chalmers-Detroit..
At about the same time, Chapin and Coffin had designed a new, smaller car,
with the help of Roscoe Jackson, and F.O. Bezner.  Thomas would not back
this car, but Chalmer bought into it as did a relative of Jackson's, one
J.L.Hudson.

The Hudson Motor Company was founded in 1909 and built a new plant on
Jefferson Avenue at Conner the next year.  Just across from the Chalmers
plant.  Shortly after,  Chalmers sold his interest in Hudson to Chapin and
associates, while they sold their stock in Chalmers to Chalmers and his
group.

The Chalmers company became associated with Maxwell, the firm that Walter P.
Chrysler was hired to rescue.   The Chalmers was replaced in 1924 by the new
Chrysler Model B (called Model B in remembrance of the still-born 1921
Chrysler) at the Chalmers plant on Jefferson Avenue.   The first Chrysler
Imperials were built at Jefferson Avenue, as were all Imperials with the
exception of 1959-61 (Warren Avenue), 1981-83 (Windsor, ON) and 1990-93
(Belvidere, IL).

Bill
Vancouver, BC