Re: IML: How to ruin your day, hurt your Imperial, and other Bad Things

Re: IML: How to ruin your day, hurt your Imperial, and other Bad Things by Jason

> In front of me was a newish Kia, who ended up with
> some scratched
> paint on the bumper.  I, on the other hand, ended up
> needing a new
> front header, bumper, and hood.

For a few seconds there, I was really worried that Kia
had come out with some sort of solid 4140 steel
bumpers.  Until I read along to find out the vintage
of said Imperial, then it all made more sense.

> --There is no justice, sometimes.  Isn't one of the
> reasons we drive
> Imperials to be the indestructible tanks on the
> road?

A '70 Imperial, yes.  A '90?  Built like any other
modern car, as you found out!

> When I locked the tires up, apparently the front of
> my car bucked
> down, because the grille above the bumper was really
> what hit her,
> causing a fair bit of damage to my car!  My bumper
> had gone under
> hers, bending the brackets just slightly, which has

The best practice, assuming you have the wits and
stomach for it, is to let off the brake just before
you hit, assuming you know you are going to hit
anyway.  You will hit at a slightly higher speed, but
the damage will be less, because you will have met
bumper to bumper.  I once saw a wreck where a car,
obviously nose down in braking, went under a pickup
truck to the point where the truck's rear bumper was
inches from the car's windshield.

--Mike Pittinaro

Beautiful Boxcar
American Grandeur and