IML: Hood Ornaments, and other gruesome tales of a bygone era...

IML: Hood Ornaments, and other gruesome tales of a bygone era...

Title: Re: IML: Spring-loaded hood ornaments

Well, blow me down!  Live and learn!

Thanks Chris, I guess there were a whole lot of Fed Regs imposed that were not front page news at the time like smog emissions, head rests, belts, collapsible steering columns, etc…

Sometimes what seems the logical explanation, in my twisted little mind, is nothing more than Gov’t stepping in and saying how things are “gonna be now, see!”  “They” did most all those imposed regulations for our own damn good, whether or not we liked them.  In the years since, many lives have been saved by collapsing Imperial hood eagle ornaments.

I have this (arguably) great “Coffee Table” book named “Car Crashes” which is a collection of car crashes, and victims of the same, some living, some dead, by a guy who’s “hobby” was listening to the police band on a short wave(?) radio in the 40’s & 50’s during the wee hours of the morning, and when there was a crash around Bakersfield, CA he would rush out to the scene and photograph it.  Some are pretty gruesome, but others are just a darn shame, like the ’53 Buick Roadmaster Convertible wrapped, literally, head on wrapped around a tree.  The tree seemed fine though.  It is one of those morbid books you see in a bookstore, can’t help but look through, think how gross it is, and leave it.  Then a year later see it in a used book store, and must have it.  Well, that’s how it works for me.  I bought it mostly because of the old cars.  That’s my story, and I’m ‘sticken to it!!

The funniest part of the whole thing was taking it on the bus to work, and casually, slowly going through the pages as if perusing a “House & Garden”, or “Epicure” magazine.  Sometimes I’d pull the book up close to see the details of a particular shot, and from the corner of my eye, take in the looks of horror, and disgust from other passengers on said bus.  Some would even lean in for a better look, pretending to let someone get by in the isle to get off the bus.  My personal favorite, burned into my mind, is of an obviously well to do, finely dressed, and bejeweled women, who hit something, hit it  hard, died instantly, and the picture is of her lying back (I guess the seat back gave out), arms up, hands still in the position of gripping the steering wheel, eyes wide open, and the imprint of the steering wheel across her forehead in an arch, finger grip pattern and all.  Guess she had one to many at the party!?  I’d blame cell phones, but of course that was before their time.

I know, it’s sad, and yes, I do have a therapist who gives me a LOT of medication.  Sometimes when I am blowing carbon off the valves on I-5 under the Ship Canal bridge where no cops can see, and I’m pushing Doris up over 95-105 mph, I think about that book, and then let my foot off the “Go fast NOW” actuator, and let the car bring itself back down to a much saner, safer, yet still speeding, 70 mph.

Once all the work is done on Doris next week (I hope!), I will see how much different, if any she feels, and give her a go.  Most of the work is leaks, expensive leaks, main seals, rear axel seals, carb issues, etc… to the tune of $4K.  I just don’t get myself sometimes.  Who but an Imperialist would spend that kind of money on a car?  Hell, most would just wash the underside and quickly drive to your friendly car dealer, and trade it in for some horrid, wretched even, little rice burner, but NOOOOO, I have to keep 40 year old Detroit Iron on the road, in tip-top shape!  Oh yeah, and buy morbid car crash books.

I either need more cars, medication, or a husband.  I would take any of those, not necessarily in that order of preference.

Have a great day, and drive safe everyone!  I don’t want to see, or be compelled to buy another of those books, especially as it would surely be in color this time!  Besides, there would be no appeal in seeing a Honda, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, VW, etc… wrapped around an orange traffic cone, or “No Parking” sign from a 7 mph frontal impact.

Wm. R. Ulman

Seattle, WA

twolaneblacktop@xxxxxxxxxxx