Re: IML: mopar starters

For all these mopar starter and torque converter issues, and Ill refer to post 62 cars here , the ring gear is welded to the torque converters. I have NEVER had a ring gear failure on a Chrysler car, but I wont say that it never happens. The starters on these cars are gear reduction units and in all the years and all the different Chrysler products I have owned I have only had 3 starters fail, and twice from the starter drive failing. Once was from a burned armature.

Most often, in the case of starter drive failure, the engine will kick back against the drive while cranking and due to the gear reduction system the drive will fail internally and will freewheel in both directions. Youll know this when the starter spins up but the engine wont turn over. The other failure mode, electrical by nature usually manifests itself by hearing the starter relay click but the starter motor wont crank. ALWAYS check the starter relay on the fenderwell before deciding the starter itself has failed.

If the starter has failed, you most likely cannot get it repaired at a shop as cheaply as going to a local parts store and buying one outright. The old Lester numbering system had numbers 3257 and 3258 for Chrysler V-8s. There shouldnt be much difficulty at all in finding a Chrysler V-8 starter at all.

As far as the original post went, it was stated that the mechanic suggested it had a " flat spot " in it...meaning to me it has a burned segment on the armature. The fact that the trans was rebuilt would indiate that the converter may or may not have been replaced, it may have been flushed and bench checked and found to be ok, still...a visual inspection of the ring gear on the converter at that time would be enough. I would wonder more about why said mechanic wasnt able to adequately diagnose what had gone wrong in the starter in the first place than what to search for after the fact.

My 2 cent gut hunch is still in the starter itself, and the term " flat spot ". If it did have a bad area on the ring gear, it would be much like having a bad starter drive and one would hear the starter motor spinning but the engine would not be turning over.

Good luck

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe