IML: Imperial Disc Brakes

Just a new member reading the mail, but I am surprised nobody has
mentioned the fact that Chrysler pioneered true disc brakes in the 30's
and used them on the Crown Imperial thru 1954.  What we call disc brakes
today are really "spot brakes", first used by Crosley (on all four
wheels, in fact) thru 1952.  And the industry took almost 20 years to
emulate a feature from a car that listed for less than $1,000?   Back in
1957, I bought a late production 1954 Imperial  2 door hardtop that
somehow had the Crown limousine disc brakes factory installed.  They were
totally sealed and looked like finned turbines.  The service manual
recommended that they be inspected every 100,000 miles.  So much for
modern technology.  Having previously owned a 1954 New Yorker Deluxe
convertible, I noticed one day that there was no power brake booster!
That's when I discovered the true disc brakes!  No power booster was
needed.  Normal pedal pressure easily stopped the car, and in panics, the
forward motion of the car was applied.  What! No ABS???  The near north
side Chicago Chrysler dealer, long gone, told me the car was ordered
special by a prominent Chicago/Cicero family member, one of those the
Chicago Tribune would assign colorful nicknames.  He certainly had good
taste, that car was beautifully built.
The point is, if you want the true, ultimate Imperial disc braking
system, find a 30's, 40's, or 50's Crown Imperial limo, and roll up your
sleeves.  If you find my '54 Imperial hardtop, I want it back or the
Tribune will give me a colorful nickname.
Regards, Ken Stephenson