RE: IML: 1960 Crankcase Ventilation

If the system on the '60 is working correctly, any smoke that emerges from the system should come from the draft tube. This tube runs down the passenger's side of the engine compartment nearly to the ground. The emissions from it would probably appear to be coming from around the right front wheel well, or past the door window on the right side.

If smoke is coming out from under the hood, the draft tube, or its filter (Hemi's have a filter down there that needs to be cleaned), is probably plugged up. This means that the crankcase is pressurized, and the smoke is emanating from the breather cap (where the air should actually enter the system). If not cleaned out, the engine will deteriorate very quickly. The underside of the hood will also become saturated with oil, the hood insulation pad will come apart, and eventually fall down and burn on the exhaust manifolds.

If not coming from this system, leaky valve cover gaskets and other things can cause smoke from under the hood. It always means that something isn't the way it is suppose to be.

When the engines are in good shape, there isn't enough to be very noticible, but as the engine wears out, this problem will become more and more visible. Soon, people at stop lights start pointing at it mouthing the words "you car's on fire". The old Hemi's did this more than the 413's did because they actually are free'er breathing engines. Rather than an expensive rebuild, there is often a tube that has been added between the air filter and the ventilation chamber to "close" the system.

Paul W.