Re: IML: Breaking in a Rebuilt 413 - '59 Imperial

Charles;
   From what I have been told during break in you need to dump the oil and
filter about twenty minutes after firing it up the first time to get rid of
any debris. I don't remember how long before changing the oil after firing
it up the second and third time but the intervals are progressively longer
each time until you work your way up to the regular oil change interval.
The point being that at $5.00 a quart for synthetic you are throwing your
money away until your engine is completely broken in and synthetic may not
be the best thing for it as many have pointed out. Really you need a certain
amount of wear for the rings, bearings, and the like, to seat themselves
into a proper fit, perhaps the synthetic doesn't let it wear enough.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side tailight bezel and other trim parts.
1975 Chrysler Newport
Need to fix the Eight Track player again.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Hansen" <hansencw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 2:17 PM
Subject: IML: Breaking in a Rebuilt 413 - '59 Imperial

The restoration of my 1959 Imperial is nearly complete and soon it will
be time to start up the rebuilt 413. I was planning to use Mobil One
synthetic oil, but the guys at NAPA warned me not to use synthetic oil
at first but to break the engine in with normal oil. They said I might
spin a bearing with synthetic oil. I've had good results using Mobil
One in my other cars, but their engines already had at least a several
thousand miles on them.

Anybody on the list have recommendations about using synthetic oil in a
newly rebuilt engine?
Also what would be a good approach for breaking in the engine
regardless of what oil I use? If I drive it home from the restoration
shop it will be a trip of about 500 miles.

- Charlie Hansen
1959 Imperial Le Baron