Re: IML: Breaking in a Rebuilt 413 - '59 Imperial

Re: IML: Breaking in a Rebuilt 413 - '59 Imperial

I have had the original 413 in my 59 imperial rebuilt just a few months ago.
a local machine shop did the cleaning and rebuild of the block and heads. to save some money I putt the engine back together , and installed it in my car to get it broken in, plus I just wanted to hear the 413 run for the first time.( and when it started I got goose bumps all over). the machine shop requested that I run the engine just a little above 2,k rpm's but not to high or above 4,k rpm's but keep it between them and I will be just fine.
for oil I used 10w30 penzoil ( dino oil). and although I only ran the engine for 1 hour on a small 2 gallon gas can I had about 1/4 of gas left in the can when I was done.
I have not changed the oil yet but we be soon and after the next 2 or 3 oil changes I will use valvoline durablend a part synthetic and mineral oil/dino oil.  my oil pressure was about 75 psi at 2,500 rpms , what was the factory pressure at 2,500 rpm's?

p.s. I used a cheep Gage set that I picked up at autozone that has oil , temp, and amp gages since the gages in my car may or maynot work I wanted to get a more accurate reading and latter in the restoration process I will hook up the factory units and compare my readings from the cheep set. I'm hoping the factory gages work but if for some reason they dont or are incorrect. anyone recommend someone that can rebuild them?

Charles Hansen <hansencw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The restoration of my 1959 Imperial is nearly complete and soon it will
be time to start up the rebuilt 413. I was planning to use Mobil One
synthetic oil, but the guys at NAPA warned me not to use synthetic oil
at first but to break the engine in with normal oil. They said I might
spin a bearing with synthetic oil. I've had good results using Mobil
One in my other cars, but their engines already had at least a several
thousand miles on them.

Anybody on the list have recommendations about using synthetic oil in a
newly rebuilt engine?
Also what would be a good approach for breaking in the engine
regardless of what oil I use? If I drive it home from the restoration
shop it will be a trip of about 500 miles.

- Charlie Hansen
1959 Imperial Le Baron