IML: Imperial Adventure: Wisconsin to Maryland

IML: Imperial Adventure: Wisconsin to Maryland

IML Imperialists, Jensenites, LBC friends and family:

Over the winter I mentioned that I had contracted for an Imperial, but felt
it best to leave details out till all was formally concluded. I bought Jim
Poltrock's 1963 Imperial Crown 4dr Southhampton.  He had contacted me from a
remark I made on the IML after Hugh told us and I thanked Hugh for sharing
his Overland Reo Musuem Visitor 'Caretaker' story, when I stated "I was
still looking for my Imperial & was most partial to the 60-63's".  Jim & I
worked out a contract last fall and discussed what the car would need for me
to have an 'Imperial road Trip' to its new home with its new caretaker-me.
Since winter was fast approaching in Wisconsin, and some other obligations I
had in MArch/April, we agreed on a May 2nd 05 transfer of caretakership.

I had coordinated this Imperial Adventure with my friends Jensenite Joe
Mazurk of Chicago, and Jaguar, Jensenite, Imperialist Laurence Campbell of
Long Island. I flew into Chicago on Sunday May 1st. It was 67^ when I left
MD. It was WINDY AND in the low 40's in Chicago. Joe fixed me from the
start!
good thing I brought some flanel work shirts and a windbreaker!

May 2nd was also a COLD WINDY morning. Joe and I agreed that if the temp was
below 45^, we would put the top up on the Jensen-Healey; something Joe
hasn't done in several years (he says). Well- it was almost freezing in
Chicago Sunday night, so we put the top up before calling it a night. Monday
Morning we left early, but still had bumper to bumper traffic North bound
thru and North of Chicago for about 30 miles. Then things opened up and Joe
opened up the JH . In Wisc. we even had 'wisps of snow flakes' with the cold
Canadian Front.

Jim was waiting at Brad's garage, and had the IMP uncovered, Concours clean,
shiny and 'ready'.  The big 413  roared to life instantly..

Jim and I had worked a 'trip prep plan' since last Fall, and among the
upgrades were: new timing chain, new water pump, radiator flow & pressure
test, tranny cooling lines test, new belts, new hoses, new clamps, new
thermostat, & with a 'discovery of a booster vacuum leak', even a rebuilt
brake booster and master cyl. Jim had been a wonderful 'caretaker' during
his ownership, making several major improvements to the Classic Imperial
(both mechanical and cosmetic), returning it again to 'America's Most
Carefully Built Car' status. I consider myself  very fortunate to have this
opportunity.

 My first drive revealed some 'idiosyncracies': intermittent hesitation from
idle in gear,  parking brake light 'flashing' or sticking on- despite the
brake release being fully retracted and the brake clearly 'off'. The gas
gauge was not working, and a very  very slight alignment drift (not a pull)
to the right and when driving, the steering wheel 'cocked' to the left' (I
knew about these last two things months ago).  Other than these minor
things, The car was smooth and I was 98% satisfied that all would be well.

Jim, Joe and I went to the Kenosha Wisc DMV, convienently located about 2
miles away. I got a temp plate & then we swapped the plates. Jim
transferring the plate to his '55 Imperial. Before  we bid farewell Joe took
Jim for a ride in the 'tiny' JH.  Jim was  then treated to 'a Joe Mazurk
exciting' --'look at that tiny motor Lotus POWER rural roads experience'.I
think Jim was surprised by the power of the Lotus 907, and the handling
capabilities of the Jensen-Healey, a most undervalued sports car. The Jensen
Brothers had a long relationship with Chrysler    with the Interceptors
using complete MAGNUM 383 & 440 drivetrains.

 Joe & I then headed to lunch. The road trip back to Chicago was totally
uneventful, other than my getting used to the fast reacting Imperial Power
DRUM Brakes (all you need is 'a toe'- or you WILL put yourself  thru the
windshield), and the super light steering.  Joe told me I was blowing no
smoke at all, except when I really goosed it, and that was 'minor'.

Over the next few days in Chicago, I went throught the electrics: replacing
bulbs (door, dome). Taking apart and fixing the map and dome light switches
(slight more contact pressure is all they needed). I confirmed power from
the wiper washer button to the (defunct) AUG 1962 pump.  The parking brake
switch circuit was actually disconnected, a ' ground short' must have
occurred somewhere up by the panel, but I finally got the light to stay
'off'. I got the high beam dash light to work too.

The next few days we got paint, cleaners, and backup supplies. I installed a
universal washer pump, carefully cleaned up the MOPAR Washer Bag, and
painted its cap Hammerhead Silver.   I also got the ash tray light, and
glove box light and switches to work.  After adding gas in Chicago, the gas
gauge began to work- reading about 1/2 when full. In Indiana after adding
gas, it read 'nothing'  (I figured it was a sunken float) and then all of a
sudden it read full. I got gas twice after that in Ohio and PA and the gauge
has worked perfectly since.- probably just bad contacts on the winding that
'de-Lucased' with 'exercise'.

I spent most of my time in Chicago (Other than being treated royally by Joe
& family) detailing out the engine & Bay- with the exception of the inner
fender walls- which I need to find a close body color paint for.  I cleaned
and painted the battery tray, radiator frame, Steering box & pump, dipstick
handles, horns, suspension and frame  visible from the engine bay. I painted
the cables. Once home I planned to paint the firewall, inner fenders, bolts
@ the heater box, and the parking brake mechanism & hood hinges.  Meanwhile,
Joe stripped the data plate,  and once clean I repainted it 'aluminum'- nice
and bright.  We decipherd the codes and it is a 924- Madison Grey Interior
(see  http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1963/63DataBook/P00h.htm
What threw Jim & I off was the front couch was apparently once renewed in a
pattern that was used (maybe) on the NYRON interior code 904, almost
indestinguishable from the 924 weave, but with the original leather
bolsters. The only issue with the seat comfort is you gotta watch 'not to
sit' on the Crown Buttons, after a few hours on your Butt---  Nonetheless
after 11 hours in the car-- not many cars one can emerge from with less
'Seat impact'. Certainly as comfortable as my Jensen and the Jags, but in
different 'areas'.

The only engine related problems I had from Wisc to Chicago were with the
power steering pump adjustment and pinging. There was a small angle bracket
in the power steering pump 'adjustment V'. The adjustment bolt holes must be
'oblonged' and I felt the pulley was slightly 'cocked' (alignment) relative
to the belt, and the belt  was slightly under-torqued. Joe & I made up some
wood shims, and we 'tweeked' the belt alignment and tension. I had no
problems with the steering system after that, and I had no belt wear or
'belt dust' once home..

Jim had filled the tank with Premium last Nov, before storing the car (in a
'car bag'), and on the highway with 'more than 1/3 throttle' I heard
pinging. I was real gentle with the throttle to Chicago. Before heading off
to Indiana ( I followed Joe to 'Joe's Jensen World' & then his Cottage in
LaPorte, Indiana), I added some more 93 and some octane booster and retarded
the timing in increments till it didn't ping.  The timing was set at 8^BTDC
and I know the book says 10^.  So I assume that Jim & Brad attempted to
'balance' the 'gas factors', but I had to retard another 4-6^ (idle setting)
to stop the pinging, then the idle was a little too rough, so I had to
advance it a hair.

So on the Sat morning trip to Indiana- the pinging was 'GONE'. After a
morning at 'Joe's Jensen World', on the Indiana back roads out to Fish Lake,
the car would down shift smoothly with no pinging, and was smooth as silk
with acceleration, and downshift/goose  in the 60mph thru the 2nd-3rd
upshift range was as smooth as my modern XJR.  I realize the Imperial is NOT
a Jaguar or Jensen Interceptor, as far as handling on the curves,  but I
found myself thinking (agreeing) with Clark Thomas that the 413 IS a better
engine (responsiveness) than the 440 under full acceleration. (Clark and I
have been preparing his '62 LeBaron (front brake shoes-due to debonded
linings) for its new caretaker- Laurence Campbell). Also the Torqueflite
trannys in both Clark's 62 and this '63 are almost as smooth as a
GM-slushbox- without the slush and still positive shift. I was not expecting
this 'silkiness' in the '60's vs the 70's Torqueflites.  Chrysler certainly
did refine these Imperial trannys beyond the later units- unless its the
1000# extra mass factor I was 'feeling'.  Joe kept saying ';You don't know
how cool that car is on the Back roads'--made me feel 'special'.
--
So, to back up, my entire trip was designed with some planning and 'further
prep time' for the main road trip home.  After all it is a 42 year old

Sunday Morning, May 8th, I gassed up with Citgo Premium 93, reset the timing
to 8^BTDC and sadly found the engine hard starting and on the road, even
gently accelerating  to 45mph, I had the pinging 'back with a rengence'. I
thought with a full tank of fresh 'spring gas'- I'd be OK, so I  backed the
timing to the previous retarded setting and all was almost well. So at 9AM
Joe and I linked with Laurence Campbell in South Bend. He & his wife Janice
were there helping son Scott pack up after completing his 1st year at Notre
Dame, and after breakfast Scott rode in the Imperial with me as we visited
the ND campus. By 11AM Laurence & Janice in his loaded Expedition  and I
were Eastbound on I-80.  After the retarded timing adjustments, the engine
was almost 'de-pinged' with brisk acceleration, enough for 'spirited' truck
passing and keeping with the I-80 flow--PLUS.  I like to drive with no one
in front of me and in a 'clear lane' when possible. The Imperial was
'Imperial'! (www.imperialclub.com) Laurence & Janice protected my 'flanks'.

 On I-80  in Ohio and PA, I gassed up with Sunoco 94 and it was much better
(the  pinging), but I still could not keep the timing at 8^BTDC.
I should mention that Jim installed an electronic ignition, and with the new
timing chain- We know that mechanically the internals are perfect, so its
strictly a matter of the gas and timing 'options' and limitations. Too
advanced- pinging, too retarded -poor idle and starting.   I gassed up with
Sunoco 94 and it was much better, but I could not keep the timing at 8^.  So
my conclusion is the 10.5:1 413 -even with 94 octane still requires some
octane booster and maybe some lead additive to protect the valves. I know
the 1960 gas was leaded and formulated much differently than todays
'offerings of premium'.   I'll add whatever it takes to keep the engine
'safe'.

Laurence tried out the car for a nice stretch, and I had a chance to enjoy
'the passenger side'- The car was smooth riding and a joy to 'spread out
in'.
We made such good time across Indiana & Ohio - no construction, smooth
sailing I decided to make it home in a 'continuing shot'- so just before the
I-76/I-80 split we parted. I was now totally confident in the Imperial- Our
'carefully prepared car'!

Once on the PA turnpike I had to watch my speed on the constant curves. I
found that 60-70 was comfortable, and more than that was not. I was running
a real  77-78mph (speedo reading  85-87) on the straights, the difference
maybe due to the normal inaccuracies and the new retro tires, which may be a
slightly smaller diameter than the 1960's bias series. (The car has Coker
Dimension IV 235/75/15 All season white walls). They gave a smooth ride, but
I could tell the sidewalls are not 70's or 65's (which I do like) or the
modern low profile tires (which I don't like).
I made it home at 10:45 PM EDT.

So after  881 miles highway miles, the engine OIL Level was at 'Add Oil'
(1/2 a quart??), still yellow,  and gas mileage went from 15 mpg (Chicago to
IND) to 15.7mpg, better than most of Jim's meticulous figures for the past
couple years.  Certainly Nothing to complain about since my Jensen
Interceptor, at almost 1000# lighter- with the 440 on regular gas (9:1
compression) gives at best 13.2 mpg (same 2.93 rear end) and our Jag 5.3
(326 cu in) V-12's(carbed and EFI  and the '96 Supercharged 4.0 Jag R give
14-19 mpg at comparable highway speeds.

So the Big Imperial really is quite an exceptional 'system'! Even my 2003
Dodge RAM HEMI, 345HP  vs the 430 HP of the 413 never gives above 17mpg, and
ususally about 15mpg on the highway at similar road speeds..

SO I had the Imperial adventure I wanted, essentially trouble free.  Shows
what good planning, a supportive team and wonderful friendships can do.
I can't thank Jim enough, he is a real Imperialist preservationist and I've
enjoyed working with him on this project! Joe and Laurence & Janice were the
best as well!

For me the '63 Imperial (year I graduated HS) completes my Chrysler/British
'connections'- The 56 Dodge Coronet 270 Poly V-8  has the 1st Cross Ram
induction manifold, the British Jensen Interceptor has the 440, and the
Imperial has the 413- the biggest of the Wedge high compression factory
engines. The 56 Dodge ,my TR4 and E Jag V-12  all have Stromberg carbs and
Chrome bezeled gauges.  The Imperial has those  magnificent
Electroluminescent TV screen gauges. The Imperial and the E Jag have the
best curvaceous windshields ever made. The view of the PA valleys from that
IMPERIAL windshield- is just beyond description. An experience of a
lifetime--- The best of the British and American Legacies and more
retirement fun!

Now to hook up the 'Auto-Pilot'---

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia MD
'63 Imperial Crown 4dr Southhampton
See http://home.comcast.net/~staffel/taffelvintagemotors.html     and
http://home.comcast.net/~staffel/TVMengineprojects.htm
latter has link to Imperial pics (Thanks to Jim)