Re: IML: 65 Crown....

a little trick an old timer told me, use the handle from a broom ( the kind you use to sweep floors with) hold one end to your ear and place the other end in various places on the engine while the engine is running " but watch out for those moving parts!" the broom handel will help you pin point where the clicking is coming from, move the handle around until the sound gets the loudest, then let us all know about where its coming from.

also just in case you dont know this, about 3 yrs ago one of my other cars while getting ready to go to work one morning . my car is a little cold natured and I hafta pat the gas a few times while cranking to start the car, some how while I was patting the gas pedal the throttle return spring had broken causing the pedal to go all the way to the floor, at the exact same time the engine started up the engine raced up quickly, I shut the car off. and poped the hood to see what happened, after I removed the breather I noticed the throttle return springs were completely gone. so I swapped the springs from an old parts car , after installing the springs I started the car and I heard a clicking sound , couldnt tell where it was coming from, but it wasnt a loud clicking , I drove the car to wrok anyway no problems at all. I had just figured it was a lifter or a valve sticking a little maybe from a piece of carbon, so after work and driving back home I took the freeway home to get the car up to 70 + mph thinking that I could blow the engine out a little, but I thing I did more harm, when I slowed to take the off ramp I could hear a loud clicking sound and the oil guage was at "zero" so I took it slow the rest of the way home , by the time I got home the loud clicking had begin to sound like a hammer banging away . so I parked the car and it was 2 weeks latter I pulled the engine and found that the number 3 connecting rod had a bad  wrist pin and a couple rod bearings had spun, it was a night mare at that time in my life because my wife was out of a job and my place of work was talking of a layoff.
maybe your problem is simple and cheep to fix, my recomend that you "DO NOT! drive the car untile you know for sure what is making the sound, by driving the car you could make it worse and cost you more money in the long run.

hope you get it fixed.

ERICINLANDPARK@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all!
       I bought a 65 Crown a few months back and I am in the process of restoring it....  The car runs great, upholstery, headliner, carpet, and body work all in progress now.
       I had a mechanic give it a total tune up, points, new alternator, carburator, brakes, fuel lines, plugs, etc.
       The other day I went to start it and the engine started and then reved all the way up, now I have a repeating "click click click click" sound coming from the passenger side valve cover... anyone have any idea what to look for???  I hope it's something minor, not something that requires an engine pull!  The car still runs great, just has that clicking noise... I cut the engine immediatly and haven't started it again, going to wait to hear what the group says!
       Thank-you for your time:
       Eric

Discover Yahoo!