RE: IML: Black smoke out exhaust

If you open the air cleaner lid while the engine is warm, and see that the choke is OPEN, then your carburator probably has failed.

The black smoke is nearly always (frankly I can't think of any other reason) from buring too much gas and not enough air, making a "rich" mixture. The purpose of the carb is to provide the correct mixture of air and gas for proper combustion.

The choke must be closed to start the cold engine, but must also open as the engine warms up, to have the correct mix of gasoline and air under all conditions. Your car may have a choke pull off that is vacuum powered. Sometimes these fail and will cause the choke to close partially, resulting in some black smoke. The pull of can be easily tested and if necessary, easliy replaced. The choke should also have a thermal acting mechanism, either utilizing engine heat, or an electric heating coil to open the choke during warm up. If these don't work properly, a rich fuel mixture after warm up results and causes a lot of black smoke.

If the choke is working properly and you are experiencing black smoke (a lot or a little), than your carb is dumping too much gas into the engine. There are many other things that can make the car run the way that you describe, but not very many (if any) that are accompanied by the black smoke. It may be possible to fix the carb, but it should probably be either rebuilt of replaced.

Once you have gotten to the bottom of this, you should also replace your spark plugs. If they haven't fouled out already, they probably soon will. On modern cars, when this happens, the catalytic converter MUST also be replaced. It will plug up in 10 miles and be beyond repair.

Paul W.