RE: IML: Fuel problems continue.. On 66 Imp >Any great mechanics out the

RE: IML: Fuel problems continue.. On 66 Imp >Any great mechanics out there??

 > So when I drove her on flat land.. she was fine. As soon as I tried to go up a steep Hill disaster then she acts up even if land is level.. Help, Help...

Are you able to get going again when this happens or do you have to be towed?  If you are able to get it going again try a hill where you know it will die with a full tank of gas and see if it climbs the hill ok.  If it does then you have a problem with the sending unit in the tank.  The pickup tube often gets rusty and gets pin holes in so when going up hill the gas goes to the back of the tank and uncovers the holes allowing it to pull air.

Do you have a garage or off street parking for it at home?  You can drop the tank yourself and send the sending unit off for repair.  It sounds like a difficult job but it is really pretty easy.  The worst part it the two nuts and J bolts that hold it on and since yours has recently been off the car those shouldn't be hard to deal with.  Check your lines from front to rear looking for pin holes (usually evidenced by a wet or clean spot on the metal line) and make sure all the rubber line is new and in good shape.

How about float levels in the carb?  If they were off toooo far then when going up a hill could it be starving itself for gas?  I'm grasping at straws with that one I imagine...  You can add a fuel pressure gauge inline and lay it on the windshield then go for a trial run to confirm if this is the problem.  If the car dies and fuel pressure is still up then you know it is a carb issue.

Hope some of this helps.  I went through a similar problem with a lesser Chrysler product and it seemed to get more miles on the tow truck than it did under its own power until I got them resolved.

             Steve B.