RE: IML: 1973 Imperial Valve Job Questions

RE: IML: 1973 Imperial Valve Job Questions

> I believe that the symptoms and the tests show that the
> Imperial has either sticky or burned valves. I am unsure what
> to do next.

To be 100% certain the valves are the issue you would need to do a wet and
dry compression test and compare the numbers.  You can also do a leak down
test where you apply air and see where it is leaking out.  To do a wet test
you add a little oil to the cylinder then do the test and see what the
numbers do.  If they go up drastically then you know you have ring problems
and are looking at a bit more work.

You can pull the heads and have the machine shop rebuild them then reinstall
yourself.  Since you have done it before you shouldn't have any problems
with it.  The worst part for me is those pesky "might as wells" that seem to
cost more than the original project  :-)   The actual valves and gaskets and
other assorted goodies needed are pretty much dirt cheap.

One word of warning..  If the engine is tired and you rebuild the heads you
can gain an oil consumption problem that you didn't have before.

                 Steve B.